What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great conditions at night for highlanders!

well here in long beach ca. the nights i guess are perfect for nepenthes. i got some readings on this little gadget that i have showing 70%-95% at night. sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night between the hours of 2-4am and have a latenight snack, i go to the balcony and check things out such as the conditions, mostly cold and foggy, and of course my nenpenthes(sorry im a nep freak!). the windows on the cars are all foggy and no, there isnt any one inside the cars or else that means that there are alot of people that late or early in the morning doing something to cause the windows to fog up.
smile_l_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

the coldest ive seen was low 50's, so i guess that ok for highlanders
smile_l_32.gif

now the good thing is that i still havent seen light frost, which i think is what the worst we get. that frost will probably be bad for the lowlanders i got outside...

Long Beach should be great for growing neps outside. Especially highlanders! Just bring them in if the weather report calls for frost - which is RARE. I grew up in Pacific Palisades, so I know the weather down there. I just wish I'd been into growing back then. Up here it's just too cold for most neps outdoors. The nights aren't so bad, but it just doesn't warm up enough. The only one I have growing outside that's happy is N. rajah.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Nov. 23 2005,11:13)]Long Beach should be great for growing neps outside. Especially highlanders! Just bring them in if the weather report calls for frost - which is RARE. I grew up in Pacific Palisades, so I know the weather down there. I just wish I'd been into growing back then. Up here it's just too cold for most neps outdoors. The nights aren't so bad, but it just doesn't warm up enough. The only one I have growing outside that's happy is N. rajah.

Capslock
this is really my first winter that i am going through. that rajah of mine is doing ok but still hasnt made a pitchers yet but has 2 new tendrils that look promising. frost here is not that rare but seldom do we get it in consecutive days. i still wonder how the lowlanders will do in these conditions. they also have slowed somewhat too...
smile_h_32.gif

I envy you people. If only I were 5 or 10 miles closer to the coast here in San Diego, I could grow some Nepenthes outside. That would be a dream. I am so low on space for neps right now, it's disgusting
smile_h_32.gif

hey lol,
whats the lowest humidity you get where you live?

Hahahahaha. Hahahaha
"what's the lowest humidity you get where you live?"

Man, you ever heard of Sanna Anna (spelling?) winds? When those eastern winds start flowin through here, it gets hot, and uber dry! I'm talkin like 10% humidity outside! Otherwise, humidity is as low as 40% during the day, and higher at night. Seriously, we just had a week of that crap, and that's when we had all those fires in LA, Mexico, and San Diego. I'm sure you know that though
smile_n_32.gif

c'mon now! i get about the same along with thoes winds, honest! steve, lives garden grove, live farther inland and still grows them with success and has grown them longer than me!

Grown outside?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
???

Yep, I think he grows lowlanders indoors and highlanders outdoors.

LOOK FOR YOURSELF lol
smile.gif

all of them are grown outdoors with the santa ana winds and that 20% humidity... :p

834N_Rajah_Truncata_Lowland_Sibuyanensis_as_Highlanders_Under_Shade_1_-med.jpg

834N_Maximas_Sanguinea_Copelandii_In_Full_Sun_1_-med.jpg

834N_Sanguinea_Copelandii_In_Full_Sun_1_.jpg

and even this!
834N_Sibuyanensis_3_1_-med.jpg

Well I still can't do it, because my patio is small, and my huge air conditioner exaust fan is situated right in the middle. On the days when it's already in the 80's and 90's, the air coming from the exaust will push temps on the patio well above 100F. So "I" still canit do it
smile_n_32.gif

well i guess if space is a problem then you cant. mine wistand high 90's but of coruse they are now all under shadecloth. misting does them well. the table you see in the pics is a big help too. what happens when i water/mist the water collects on the surface, something to do with the top layer of "wood" bending up on the edges creating something like a "bowl", which bring up the humidity to about 50% or more in the day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Nov. 23 2005,2:36)]I envy you people.  If only I were 5 or 10 miles closer to the coast here in San Diego, I could grow some Nepenthes outside.  That would be a dream.  I am so low on space for neps right now, it's disgusting
smile_h_32.gif
Do you have any idea what it's like living in Nebraska, and seeing three Californians argue about their weather?

smile_t_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Nov. 24 2005,4:10)]Do you have any idea what it's like living in Nebraska...
something like this:.............
laugh.gif
jk!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Nov. 23 2005,7:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Nov. 23 2005,2:36)]I envy you people.  If only I were 5 or 10 miles closer to the coast here in San Diego, I could grow some Nepenthes outside.  That would be a dream.  I am so low on space for neps right now, it's disgusting
smile_h_32.gif
Do you have any idea what it's like living in Nebraska, and seeing three Californians argue about their weather?

smile_t_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe
LOL!! I gota agree try frost bite Michigan..
smile.gif

ouch! i think it bit be!
smile_t_32.gif

the pics i posted were before my collection grew. now i have a much bigger collection. i currently grow all the nepenthes outside:
Nepenthes Higlanders (Grown outdoors):

1. Copelandii (mt apo)
2. Sanguinea (may be the orange but looks brown or rust)
3. Rajah
4. Maxima (Lowlander)
5. Truncata
6. Truncata (Lowlander)
7. Ventricosa
8. Faizaliana (True form)
9. ssp or x?
10. Bongso
11. Veitchii (L x H)
12. Burbidgea (looks red)
13. Spectabilis x Veitchii
14. Sibuyanensis
15. Sanguinea Red
16. Fusca (Crocker Range)
17. Alata (Large Peristome)
18. x 'Red Leopard'
19. Copelandii (mt pasian)?

I keep all my Nep's outside in full sun here in Texas. They grow just fine right next to cacti. Heh, as long as there is no snow Nep's don't seem to care where they are planted.

-Rail

If I didn't have that big exhaust fan, I'd try it. Dangit...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Nov. 25 2005,1:08)]They grow just fine right next to cacti.
hey steve, srduggins, didnt you do this
smile_l_32.gif

Back