What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nepenthes rotting...

ok so i got a nepenthes from lowes like in february, and i have had it in nice shape was growing pitchers real nice about 4" and the plant birds eye view probably spans about 10" but all of a sudden it started to rot a bit and the pithcers start rot then the leaves... is there anything i can do at this point or do i just wait for the inevitable and the whole plant rots?

Repot and let it dry out a bit, let the roots breathe!

ok i had it potted with some lfs and perlite, and about 2" of the stalk going up is rotting, so what should i do about that? the plants a little top heavy now

I would suggest to make a cutting and rooting it again. Cut where there are no rot and dip it in rooting hormones. Make sure to have a well drain soil.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]ok i had it potted with some lfs and perlite, and about 2" of the stalk going up is rotting, so what should i do about that? the plants a little top heavy now

Hold up for a second. By rot do you mean actual rot: things getting mushy and falling apart, or do you mean rot: old pitchers and leaves getting black?? There's an important distinction here, the latter of the two isn't rot it's just normal growth habit.

Just wanted to clarify to make sure that you don't do anything rash that you'll find out later on was unnecessary.

ok well yeah turning black and dying, and its creeping half way up the plant so i was figuring its gonna kill the plant

The same thing happened to my bongso, the newest leaves just turned black all of sudden and the media looks fine.

Sometimes just a bad fungus/pathogen can infect a healthy plant for no reason, but thats a rare occurance, however it can happen.
smile_h_32.gif

Ah, well if it's happening to new growth, then I'd agree with everyone else that it's a problem. If it's just old growth, then it should be fine.

Back