What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. aristolochioides

Hello fellow Nepenthes enthusiasts
I have a slight problem with the above named plant - each new leaf it has produced since acquiring it has resulted somewhat... deformed. The edges are pale and gnarled, almost reminiscent of thrips damage I've witnessed in the past. However, there are no visible pests whatsoever, and the rest of my collection is thriving, except this one - it is excruciatingly slow as well (slower than my villosa, in fact).

naristounhappyleaf5tq.jpg

I have my plants under 400W of high pressure sodium (new Grolux bulb), at a reasonable distance as to maintain acceptable light intensity (very lush colouration and thick wax cuticle) and temperatures during the day - 70-74F, 75-85% RH.
After dark the temps dip down to 48-54F, at 100% RH, which gives good condensation on the plants.

The problems I have already thought of were the following:

1) The substrate was too tightly packed around the roots of the plants, thus suffocation and stagnation of the root zone due to the lack of air - I have repotted it into fresh, fluffy NZ Sphagnum moss yesterday;

2) Too erratic a photoperiod - I've yet to acquire a good timer for my ballast, and so far it has been turned on and off every day whenever I awaken and likewise when I retire to bed.

I recently sprayed my whole collection with a systemic (Provado, for those familiar with it) just in case it is a pest problem, and so far the product has held up to the positive reputation CP growers in the UK have given it. Whether it will have any significant effect on this plant is a waiting game.

I'm grateful for any suggestions as to what the probable cause is and, if such a thing exists, a remedy.

Thanks all for your time, and good growing!

Cheers
Amori

Looks to me like it could be heat stress. I saw this sort of growth produced on aristo after a cooling failure in the greenhouse.

Thanks Hamish, I appreciate your input. Do the effects of heat stress carry on for a few leaves? The only time I think heat stress could have occurred is in my previous setup (almost 3 weeks ago), where the lights were much closer and the temps much higher. I'll see how it does in it's newer home for a while.

Cheers!

Amori

The one of mine that was most affected has put out 3 new leaves, all of which have been crinkly. The fourth, which has just been released by the preceding leaf, is much smaller than normal. So at least 4 leaves so far...

Of those crinkly leaves, have pitchers been produced? It seems the tendrils of mine are healthy and pitchering just fine.

Cheers

Pitchers are developing, but growth is very slow here as we're heading into summer and we've had a very warm spring that aristo has not enjoyed. It may not be heat stress in yuor case. There are other things which can cause deformed leaves. You'll know in 3 months or so whether your repotting has made a difference. The erratic photoperiod should not affect it unless it is extreme, and I doubt your patterns would be that extreme. After all, mother nature has her eccentricities, and daylight hours can vary tremendously from day to day given cloud cover etc.

Thanks again, I should be able to sleep better now that I have a clearer idea of what my dear plant may be going through (the light has been put out already, having found a timer after a thorough rummage in the loft).
Many thanks!

Amori

I vote for a too tightly packed substrate. I have had similar problems with N. aristolochioides.

Thanks nep gracilis - if this is the case the problem doesn't worry me as much as if it were temperature stress. Cheers!

Amori

Back