Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N. ampullaria deteriovore

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My curiosity on ampullaria's habit of catching falling leaf matter and effectively using it has been peaked. I just fed some lettuce to my rafflesiana giant and sanguinea to see how they will be affected. After less than 5 mins. in the raff pitcher, the pieces of lettuce are already going brown [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] . Also, look at CPUK's discussion on the subject-
    http://www.cpukforum.com/forum....start=0

The evidence is overwhelming that they can use the fallen leaf litter. One person just mentioned a study that said 36% of the foliar nitrogen in some ampullarias was derived from litter, and that plants in the open showed signs of Nitrogen-deficiency. I just fed my raff giant a some lettuce in light of this :P ! I guess it shouldn't be surprising that plants can benefeit from plant matter in the pitchers. I just didn't think the enzymes produced in the fluid would be sufficient to break down the matter and nutrients. It could be from bacteria breakdown too. Regardless of how it is broken down, if you know anything biology, you'd know that there is a great deal more energy to be derived from producers/plants. I suspect that if the pitchers can effectively break down plant matter, they could greatly benefeit from vegie feeding. 90% of the total energy is lost in every step of the food change as you go from producers to consumers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a vegiteriana nepenthes?!?!?!
    noooooooooooooooo! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loke, when you fed the amp what is the state of viscosity of the enzyme.

..Robert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey LOL, you might be better off trying your experiment with some leafs that have more nutrients than lettus. I think of lettus as simply crunchy water! Maybe a nice spinnach leaf or something....
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well feeding with insect is still more effective..There are a lot more nutritiens in an insect then in a lettuce leaf.

We had something about that in school on our biologi lessions.

1kg of meat = 10kg of vegetables
    Need all the experience I can get...

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1kg of meat = 10kg of vegetables
    What does that mean? Are you trying to compare the energy in the meat vs. vegetables? If you are studying biology, you should be learning that energy is lost by 90% for every transfer as you go up the food chain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes It was something like that.
    Then meat has more nutritiens then vegetables
    Need all the experience I can get...

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember Tyfone, while animals may have more nutrients (more complex chemical compounds), plants don't need those extra nutrients present in animals and higher life forms. They only need and use what can be found in most plants. They are carnivorous primarily to recieve nitrogen from their prey. As far as the other nutrients/minerals they need, I can't say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast