What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rigidifolia

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know about a new species of Nepenthes which was recently published: Nepenthes rigidifolia Akhriadi, Hernawati & Tamin (Reinwardtia Vol. 12 (2) 2004: pp 141-144.)

I have just received a copy of the publication from the authors and the taxon appears to be identical to one that I had been working on, namely Nepenthes aptera (ined.). Growers of this plant might want to make a note of the new correct name in their collection before it leads to confusion in the future (N. aptera is invalid).

It looks as if the authors found the plants at the same site I had, and they agree that it is nearly extinct in the wild due to land clearing in the area. I'd be keen to hear from any growers out there who have managed to flower this plant in cultivation.

Best regards,

Ch'ien Lee
http://www.wildborneo.com.my

This species has gone through 3 names already
smile_h_32.gif

Hi Ch'ien!
Nice to see you pop in now and again.
Ugh. Tamin likes to name things, doesn't he? I remember the CPN with Clarke visiting Sumatra and disagreeing with a lot of Tamin's names.
I thought N. aptera had been in use for a while-how did this happen?

Cheers,

Joe

N. alpicola, aptera, rigidifolia...

Don't forget "sp #6"

smile_n_32.gif

Say, Ch'ien, you naturally have some great photos on your site. The pic of Nepenthes treubiana looks like a close-up. Was that taken with some kind of photo lens, or did you get really close to that plant?

Cheers,

Joe

Which sp#1? There have been about 3 already...

Ugh....I'll have to get a photo...I think its the one from Malesiana Tropicals

I was thinking they went to ...."sp 8", on the old site when Ch'ien was still there-I liked it better back then.
Anyhow, I imagine Ch'ien knows the answer to that question.

Cheers,

Joe

Chien nice to see you here. By the way how do they categorised this particular species and only now able to arrived with the present name?
biggrin.gif

..Robert

Chi'en,

I'd love it if my plants were nearly ready to flower, but it is a sloooow species and I doubt many of us will see any flower action for a few years yet.

Do you know how many clones Malesiana had in cultivation?

Thanks, Hamish

I hope this can help to clear things up a bit:

"Nepenthes aptera" was the forthcoming name for this taxon, but it was not yet published, nor will it be now.

"Nepenthes alpicola" was simply a mispelling of "aptera" that somehow got started in circulation.

I think Malesiana had about half a dozen clones being propagated in tissue culture.

According to my (old) records, most of the unidentified species being distributed by Malesiana Tropicals from 1997 onwards have been described as follows:

sp. #1 = N. mindanaoensis Kurata
sp. #2 = N. hurrelliana Cheek & A. Lamb
sp. #3 = N. mira Jebb & Cheek
sp. #4 = N. vogelii Shuit. & de Vogel
sp. #5 = best regarded as N. spectabilis Dans.
sp. #6 = N. rigidifolia Akhriadi, Hernawati & Tamin
sp. #7 = N. glandulifera C. Lee
sp. #8 = N. platychila C. Lee

People with any plants in their collection with "sp. #" obviously need to know the lab of origin for the plant since many nurseries have used this numbering system and they don't necessarily apply to the same varieties.

Best regards,
Ch'ien

Thanks Ch'ien. This is important information. Sometimes you have to be quick in this naming game, but publication precedence is better than a free-for-all with numerous competing names as in the cultivar and pseudo-cultivar mess.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Nov. 29 2005,7:29)]Thanks Ch'ien. This is important information. Sometimes you have to be quick in this naming game, but publication precedence is better than a free-for-all with numerous competing names as in the cultivar and pseudo-cultivar mess.
And in addition I want to mention that it is not useful at all to spread names which are not formally described. They bring up more confusion than labelling the plants with an exact location code and a unique (!!!) number until they get a valid name.

There is already enough confusion with wrongly labeled plants...

Cheers Joachim

Hey Ch'ien and everyone, here is the N. sp#1

PC043409.sized.jpg

Dustin,

That looks like Rob Cantley's sp#1 (Sumatra).

Hamish

You know Rob, you're lucky enough to get an email response from him, let alone a published description!!

smile_n_32.gif
I knew you'd say something along the lines of that.

I wonder if he answers his phone!
smile_m_32.gif

Hey, no fair! I always answer e-mails
confused.gif
 I think...

As for published descriptions of our sp. 1 and sp. 2, we're waiting for a male flower to be able to publish from cultivated material. So far plants are 6' plus tall and no flowers at all. Still waiting.

Back