Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Confusion about nepenthes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]my friend once called it a condom plant and made some up some story on how chimps use the neps, I don't know what he was on
    My neighbor saw my N. mixta and said it looked like a red lipped [ expletive ] plant [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While at work and putting out the newly delivered N. x ventrata, a lady started explaining to her friends that hummingbirds sip on the "nectar" in the bowls of the pitcher - I overheard and told her, "not quite, not quite." The look she gave me then was one I'll never forget - a well-balanced mixture of anger and embarassment; a small victory on my part! Ah, the satisfaction...

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes its really funny.
    I bought recently a S.psittacina from a local store.
    She told me that it should have shaded light with lots of humidity.
    I told her that it doesnt need that high humidity.And can be grown in full sunlight
    She just like "nooo..really?" like I was stupid.
    I said yes I have about 60 more of Cps at home.
    Then she shut her mouth and started with the next customer
    Need all the experience I can get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to show her TyFone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] man thoes faces you get.
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been asked if the pitchers (brown & crinkled at the time, so this was excuseable) were old seed-pods.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyfone wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I bought recently a S.psittacina from a local store.
    She told me that it should have shaded light with lots of humidity.
    To be fair, some people who should know better think so too. Here are a couple of pics of my local Botanic Garden's carnivorous plant house taken last August in mid-afternoon:

When I suggested their plants might do better without the shading I was told condescendingly 'I think the expert horticulturalists here know what they're doing'.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    don't ya just love that attitude!!
    We sell Sarrs and Neps at local plant shows, often held at local botanical gardens, and we've heard everything! Michelle finally gave up with one woman. She kept asking Michelle cultural questions, and everytime Michelle answered the woman disputed her. Finally Michelle said, "You're right, yep, uh huh. You're the expert!
    The woman continues to pontificate wrong info, finally asking how we happen to have these marvelous flowers(we are talking Nep pitchers)
    Michelle, "Well, we've got a greenhouse with about two thousand of them, but you already know everything."
    Many of these people never buy anything, they just wander around the show and pretend to be experts. Real customers spend money and LISTEN to cultural advice.
    We get the flower question quite a bit, at least a dozen times a day at the typical plant show/sale.
    And I can't repeat here the kinds of comments the Nepenthes elicit from some of the "dirty old ladies." Let your imagination run wild, and yes, most of the naughty comparisons come from the women, not the men. The guys suddenly become experts on pitcher plants, explaining how the lids clamp down on trapped insects, and how Nepenthes are either 1.a tropical Jack in the Pulpit, or 2. an orchid.
    I could go on. When the day is over, we count our money and Michelle and I exchange stories. We even meet really nice people and often make new friends too.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast