What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rafflesiana's nectar

Hi fella cp's,ever notice and wonder where the smell came from, the smell identical to the foliages of pandan.The nectars from rafflesiana is very strong and refreshing,identical to the foliages of pandan plants.The leaves of pandan are used in making cakes,sweets,and rice preparation.Used widely in asia and i suppose as far as Hawaii,right?

In the open or your greenhouse don't be surprise it was the nectars smell from rafflesiana,you ever?
smile_m_32.gif

..Robert

Never noticed a smell but I sure love the taste.

-Rail

Hi Rob and All,
I know what Robert is referring to. Some Nepenthes have a distinctive sweet smell...unlike the flowers, it is the pitchers. N. Miranda will produce a sweet, almost citrus-like aroma, and on sunny days, our whole greenhouse is perfumed.
Have never noticed any perfume from rafflesiana, but will pay closer attention. We also have a plant of maxima x ventricosa that is extremely fragrant with a clean, sweet aroma. Another "sweet fragrant" Nepenthes is the hybrid N. Dyeriana. We have never narrowed down which species are responsible for this characteristic. Any others out there?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Dec. 05 2005,10:54)]...will produce a sweet, almost citrus-like aroma, and on sunny days...
now that you have mentioned that i do smell that citrus-like aroma on sunny days. i have too many to pinpoint the one that does this. i always thought thats how the lfs smelled on thoes sunny days. i think i can narrow it down to sanguinea, copelandii, maxima...

well Trent,whichever is responsible having those citrus or pandan(pandanus sp.) fragrance are real bonus.Firstly it is natural and secondly help preventing loss of ozone layers as in the case of fragrance from spray cans. your customers dont pay for the bonus from neps:;):

I do know what you're talking about I have a corner in my chamber with a few raffs and I can smell a sweetness from thier newer pitchers, especially when they first open it seems. I guess I"ve been able to notice it more since they're enclosed and kinda a "pile of raff pitchers"

Well trent, If you have dyeriana, miranda, and ventricosa x maxima all making a sweet smell, then I could only conclude that it's because of the maxima parantage
smile.gif

We only have one large plant of maxima, but it has no fragrance, nor do our max x truncata or max x veitchii. Anyone else notice a sweet smell associated with maxima?

the few maximas I've had (all lowland ones) had no noticble smell or sweet aroma... perhaps that is because they were lowland ones.

Back