Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Nepenthes

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone! I really need to take some pictures when it isn't dark out, that way I can get some shots of the few that are outside, too!
    Yeah, Caps, the ventrricosa is plugging along quite nicely! As for the hamata... Well.. It had 3 leaves, it just recently lost another... I reeeally hope it picks up the pace, I'm doing all I can for it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] I think that it might just be loosing steam... If anyone has any miraculous suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two questions. I always thought the "vine" that unfolds leaves was a basal shoot, what is its real name? And how easy it it to get a basal shoot? Any special requierments? This is for a ventrata...
    glider
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you can see from my post...I am a newbie which does have its ups and downs. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are talking about the vine that unfolds leaves, I think you are talking about the newest leaf on a Nepenthes that's rolled up? I don't know how basal shoots form, but I have one on my N. x edinensis and I think it formed because there was a small cut on the vine, probably from a mouse or something, but the cut is horizontally, so I don't know how it got there.

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EST, What conditions do you keep your hamata in? The shoot I got from Max is a champ.. its pitchered on every single leaf its grown since the day I got it.

The unidentified one I will take a stab at: N. ventricosa red x green?

Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]EST, What conditions do you keep your hamata in? The shoot I got from Max is a champ.
    Your regular highland conditions. It's in one of those flimsy containers with pure sphagnum moss. It get's direct sunlight for most parts of the day (though it's inside so it doesn't get too hot or anything.) I mist it several times a day, and there's a plastic cup over the container to help keep the humidity up (though there's still plenty of airflow.) At night, since we've get short days right now, I put it under a grow light for a couple extra hours. Oh, and the typical cool-down at night.

Should I take off the cup, maybe? Is more light more important than slightly higher humidity?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'd hate to loose this guy!

Quote[/b] ]The unidentified one I will take a stab at: N. ventricosa red x green?
    I'll have to take a picture or two of the actual pitchers, as I'm sure that'd make it easier. I got it labeled as N. tobaica, though (the one with the capensis in the pot). Oooh, unless you're talking about the other one, the one where I told Caps to guess, yes, then your guess'd be spot on (if I'm not mistaken.)

Quote[/b] ]I have two questions. I always thought the "vine" that unfolds leaves was a basal shoot, what is its real name? And how easy it it to get a basal shoot? Any special requierments? This is for a ventrata...
    I think Piranha answered this; I think what you're talking about it just the stem of the plant. The unfolding leaf is just the leaf from the next node on the stem. Take a look at the 6th and 7th pictures, they show how basal shoot starts, it's a little hard to see, but it's coming out of the stem (and is actually below the media.) To get things to pitcher, people will often have their plants leaning (not supported.) Hope that helps.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Est @ Dec. 07 2005,6:01)]Oooh, unless you're talking about the other one, the one where I told Caps to guess, yes, then your guess'd be spot on (if I'm not mistaken.)
    Well.... in all fairness, I cheated.. I have the same plant from the same source.. and if Im not mistaken, these are seedlings, not basal shoots.
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Well.... in all fairness, I cheated.. I have the same plant from the same source.. and if Im not mistaken, these are seedlings, not basal shoots.
    I thought that might be the case, and you said that you got a hamata from Capslock as well. I assumed that you got them together, like me. So, any deviation in the way I'm growing (or attempting to grow) my hamata from what you're doing?

Oh, and thanks for the correction.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast