Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No pitchers from rafflesiana?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well thats just me i havent gotten any pitchers that are bigger than 2". the plants is well over 8" in diameter. well i guess so as long as the plant is healthy it really doesnt have to pitcher for me...
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure it was a rafflesiana that you got from Lowes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how you guys all have your rafs pitchering in low humidity. Mine just refuse to. My regular raf won't don anything unless it's kept in a terrarium, and the elongata WAS doing fine, but then abruptly decided it no longer liked the 50% humidity - It is only now beginning to grow again since I moved it into the terrarium about 5 months ago. Sheesh.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ Dec. 09 2005,1:21)]
    Quote[/b] ]Okay, so I bought a N.rafflesiana from Lowe's a 3-4 months back. It had 2 or 3 pitchers on it when I bought it, but it has refused to produce new pitchers since the
    Pitchers aside, is it growing normally? That is, is it growing compactly and producing leaves of appropriate size and coloration?

1. If so, then the plant is healthy and its probably just acclimating to its new environment (or recouperating from stresses), which you probably know is common among newly-bought neps (especially those bought from places like HD or Lowes (not to diss Lowes....I've bought CPs from them). I once waited 5 months for my N.gracilis to produce a new pitcher. I agree with the others that your humidity is probably adequate--but if you can increase it without much hassle, it may be worth a shot (e.g., placing the plant on a moist pebble tray can get local humidity to >60%).

2. If not, the plant may not be pitchering because it is unhealthy.

Hope it pitchers for you soon!
    It is very healthy and is growing quickly. It has planty of normal healthy leaves and is about 5 inches in diameter.

Lol,I am 100% sure it is rafflesiana as the 2 pitchers it originally looked EXACTLY like pitchers I have seen of it. Thanks for all of the help so far. I plan on getting a ultrasonic humidifier for my terrarium to keep the humidity up.
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i really thought that raffs were like ventricosa, well not all like ventricosas. i know that raffs are more forgiving than amps...
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]i know that raffs are more forgiving than amps...
    Odd....My experience is the exact opposite. My spotted amp grew very well under the conditions that the raf elongata didn't appreciate. I think that each species has tendencies, but a lot is up to the individual plant.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:

Considering that there are several types of raffs, found in relative distinct locations, even though, they are considered lowlanders, i think it's a bit naive to assume that all are supposed to grow well under the same conditions.

A raff "nivea" cultured under exactly the same conditions as those naturally found for a Raff giant may not thrive and viceversa. We can't assume all plants must grow the same way even though, they belong to the same species. Just the fact that most of the nep taxonomy (classification) is based on how a plant looks, leaves a lot of room for errors.

Gus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12