What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No pitchers from rafflesiana?

Okay, so I bought a N.rafflesiana from Lowe's a 3-4 months back. It had 2 or 3 pitchers on it when I bought it, but it has refused to produce new pitchers since then. Here are my growing conditions.
Humidity- between 45-55%
Light- Under 2 42 watt CFL's (lighting shouldn't be an issue as I have several neps in the same terrarium and the leaves are beginning to turn a light red)
Soil- Equal parts lfs,perlite, and peat moss.(all my other neps are doing well in this)
Temps- 75-80 during the day and 65-70 at night.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I'd say humidity is too low. Rafflesiana, being a lowlander, really does need higher humidity than most. It should really be above 60% for this species.

not really, id say but the pitcher size will remain 'small'. just make sure to water often but that also that increases humidity.

I had one growing outside in 10-30% humidity that kept putting out bigger and bigger pitchers. The plant was still small so pitchers did'nt get really big, but it did seem to like the growing conditions. I planted it in strait LFS. I also have one in a terrarium with 50-60% humidity and it's massive. I'm gonna have to start trimming it back soon
smile_h_32.gif

-Rail

I grow mine as a windowsill nep. The average humidity I would say is around 35%. It pitchers no problem.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Okay, so I bought a N.rafflesiana from Lowe's a 3-4 months back. It had 2 or 3 pitchers on it when I bought it, but it has refused to produce new pitchers since the

Pitchers aside, is it growing normally?  That is, is it growing compactly and producing leaves of appropriate size and coloration?  

1. If so, then the plant is healthy and its probably just acclimating to its new environment (or recouperating from stresses), which you probably know is common among newly-bought neps (especially those bought from places like HD or Lowes (not to diss Lowes....I've bought CPs from them).  I once waited 5 months for my N.gracilis to produce a new pitcher.  I agree with the others that your humidity is probably adequate--but if you can increase it without much hassle, it may be worth a shot (e.g., placing the plant on a moist pebble tray can get local humidity to >60%).

2. If not, the plant may not be pitchering because it is unhealthy.

Hope it pitchers for you soon!

I grow my N. rafflesianas (two of them) in 10-30% humidity and they pitcher constantly.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
not really, id say but the pitcher size will remain 'small'. just make sure to water often but that also that increases humidity.

Does this mean my plants will never put out big pitchers, since they're in lower humidity? I sure hope not!

well thats just me i havent gotten any pitchers that are bigger than 2". the plants is well over 8" in diameter. well i guess so as long as the plant is healthy it really doesnt have to pitcher for me...

Are you sure it was a rafflesiana that you got from Lowes?

Funny how you guys all have your rafs pitchering in low humidity. Mine just refuse to. My regular raf won't don anything unless it's kept in a terrarium, and the elongata WAS doing fine, but then abruptly decided it no longer liked the 50% humidity - It is only now beginning to grow again since I moved it into the terrarium about 5 months ago. Sheesh.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chloroplast @ Dec. 09 2005,1:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Okay, so I bought a N.rafflesiana from Lowe's a 3-4 months back. It had 2 or 3 pitchers on it when I bought it, but it has refused to produce new pitchers since the

Pitchers aside, is it growing normally?  That is, is it growing compactly and producing leaves of appropriate size and coloration?  

1. If so, then the plant is healthy and its probably just acclimating to its new environment (or recouperating from stresses), which you probably know is common among newly-bought neps (especially those bought from places like HD or Lowes (not to diss Lowes....I've bought CPs from them).  I once waited 5 months for my N.gracilis to produce a new pitcher.  I agree with the others that your humidity is probably adequate--but if you can increase it without much hassle, it may be worth a shot (e.g., placing the plant on a moist pebble tray can get local humidity to >60%).

2. If not, the plant may not be pitchering because it is unhealthy.

Hope it pitchers for you soon!
It is very healthy and is growing quickly. It has planty of normal healthy leaves and is about 5 inches in diameter.

Lol,I am 100% sure it is rafflesiana as the 2 pitchers it originally looked EXACTLY like pitchers I have seen of it. Thanks for all of the help so far. I plan on getting a ultrasonic humidifier for my terrarium to keep the humidity up.

i really thought that raffs were like ventricosa, well not all like ventricosas. i know that raffs are more forgiving than amps...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i know that raffs are more forgiving than amps...

Odd....My experience is the exact opposite. My spotted amp grew very well under the conditions that the raf elongata didn't appreciate. I think that each species has tendencies, but a lot is up to the individual plant.

Hi all:

Considering that there are several types of raffs, found in relative distinct locations, even though, they are considered lowlanders, i think it's a bit naive to assume that all are supposed to grow well under the same conditions.

A raff "nivea" cultured under exactly the same conditions as those naturally found for a Raff giant may not thrive and viceversa. We can't assume all plants must grow the same way even though, they belong to the same species. Just the fact that most of the nep taxonomy (classification) is based on how a plant looks, leaves a lot of room for errors.

Gus

Back