What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello all,
One of my older Nepenthes is a N. aristolochiodes I've been growing over 5 years.  It is still less than 7 cm across, and is producing lower pitchers about 2 cm high.

Anyway, I'm wondering if it might be a tissue culture weakling.  Plants such as N. talangensis, N. hamata and N. macrophylla are growing well in the same environment.  

Anyone out there have a similar experience?
Thanks,
KPG

In good conditions, N. aristolochioides can be an extremely fast grower, in fact it can grow like a weed. If it's more than 5 years old and is only the size oyu describe, then there is something very wrong either with the plant or the growing conditions. Given that you've got talangensis growing well, I doubt that it's the conditions (they're closely related, and require the same conditions, although talangensis can be more demanding).

It could be a TC runt. I've got a couple of plants from TC that just don't do well, "blind shoots" being a common problem. I got so sick of one I simply binned it.

Other than repotting your aristo, I can think of much to suggest, other than getting yourself a new one. It is a species than can go from seedling to flowering size in under 5 years, so it shouldn't be that slow.

Hamish

N. aristolochioides, in my experience and plant from TC SUCKS. It really is a disappointment to have because it does nothing, all the other highlanders do fine, so go figure.

well, sounds like you have nothing to lose. You might try repotting, and then spray with alliette, and or zyban. alliette has worked wonders on my aristo, and my edwardsiana hybrid. In fact I just sprayed all my plants with it to fight off some fungus that the plants in my yard like to spread to my neps.

robin
smile.gif

Thanks guys, for your input.

Plant is recently repotted, and I see no signs of a fungal problem. I see on one vendors new price list, N. aristolochiodes plants are described as "most vigorous clones ever".  Leads me to suspect there may have been a problem with some previous plants.

I might add the plant looked pretty sad when I bought it.  The original growing point had died, and plant was a small side shoot.  The seller said most of his plants were like that.

I'm going to try one of the "new" clones.

Thanks and good growing,
KPG

Can you summarize the conditions under which you are cultivating this plant? In particular, data such as temperature regime, water source, compost, photoperiod, whether or not you feed/fertilize the plant, presence of pests or diseases, source(s) of illumination, etc. Such information may enable other growers to provide more useful comments regarding this matter.

Well, let me see.  Day Temperatures are allowed to reach about 80F - then evaporative cooling starts up.  Night teps kept around 50-52F.

Light levels 3000 to 3500 fc - Duration varies with the season - whatever the sun provides (60% shade fabric over greenhouse).

Daytime humidity is kept above 60% (usually around 70%), nights go above 90%.

I water with RO water - > 10ppm ds.  Plants are foliar fed monthly with MSU R.O. water formula at 1/4 tsp/gal, and I frequently supplement with ants or crickets.

The N. aristolochiodes is growing in live sphagmum moss.  Leaves are clean and healthy.  It is growing alongside N. hamata, N. jacquelinae and other highlanders, which are growing very well.

I'm really inclined to believe the plant is a genetic weakling, for whatever reason.
KPG

conditions sound perfect. It could be the clone then. Do you have any pictures?
robin

smile.gif

Sorry, I don't have any photos...I'll try to take one.

I have a "new" clone coming, so it will be interesting to see how it compares.
KPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm really inclined to believe the plant is a genetic weakling, for whatever reason.

You may be right. However, I have three specimens of this species, all of which are unique, seed-grown plants. None of them have done well for me when overnight lows were much above 50 F. In my experience, for them to do really well, I need overnight lows of about 46 to 48 F. Furthermore, I have found the other species you mentioned (NN. macrophylla, hamata, etc.) to be much more forgiving of overwarm nights than N. aristolochioides.

I guess you will find out when you have a chance to experiment with your new specimen. Please let us know how it goes.

N. macrophylla is much more tolerant than many think.

Does N. aristolochioides really need to be that cold Jeff? Boy, I've underestimated its highland heritage...I'm running around 80F in the day and down to 50-52F at night, reckon I should drop it lower?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does N. aristolochioides really need to be that cold?

Are they growing well? If so, it's probably cold enough.
But, as I mentioned, I found that under my conditions
this species needed nights in the 40s.

Thanks for the info neps. you mentioned something about posting more pictures a while ago.. I/we would love to see any your care to share!
Thanks,
robin
smile.gif

OK, I've not been growing aristolochioides for very long, but my plant is cheerfully making new pitchers at a min of 10-11c.
Also, regarding macrophylla being tough, I've been growing a seedling under similar conditions to the aristo for just over as year now. Yes, it's trebled in size but it's still painfully slow....
Cheers,
T.

I've found my aristolochioides more tolerant than Jeff's. Mine do really well with nights at or below 15C. They tolerate much warmer nights over summer, they just don't grow much at all. They've had days where temps have gotten over 40C, but it hasn't harmed them. However, in winter, when days are cool (25C or less in the greenhouse) and nights are cold 7 - 15C, they grow really, really rapidly, despite the much shorter daylight hours.

It may depend on individuals. I have about 10 seedlings of this species, and they show a reasonable amount of variation in growth in the same conditions. How much is just strong versus weak individuals, reactions to growing conditions, or the potential for some of them to be hybrids, I don't know.

All other highlands grow fine Jeff. I honestly can't firgure it out...perhaps its something with the roots, maybe I should give it a bigger pot.

Hamish, you're running about the same conditions I am.....I dunno, it must be a funky clone, Tony has had trouble with his as well, one growing point died on one plant and sprouted like 3 others in its place...go figure!

Hamish,
Your last comments give me hope.  My conditions fall within your range, so hopefully another plant of N. aristolochiodes will fair better.  The one I have now has not been happy in the cold days of winter, or any other time, for that matter.

Thanks for sharing that info.

I've heard numerous reports of the main vine dying after it has flowered, or just simply dying off. I've also heard of a couple of people who said theirs had been growing really well for years, then just suddenly died. It can be an unpredictable species by the sounds of it. It does produce basals fairly early on, certainly before it starts to produce uppers or starts to climb. And basal growth tends to be very vigorous.

I would add that I've found this experience to be pretty intolerant of low humidity. And whilst it tolerates hot weather in very short bursts, any extended period (i.e weeks) of warm nights will not only slow it down, but make it start producing deformed growth and pitchers. I've not kept it in very warm conditions over an extended period as our period of warm nights is fairly short. I also wouldn't want it to experience too many hot days in a row either, as it can affect the following 4 or 5 leaves.

Back