Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes light readings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone actually made measurements of the lux or foot candle readings they are growing their plants under, or plants in the wild.
    The few mentions I have found led me to illuminate mine at about 10K lux when I recently started using metal halide as a supplementary winter light in my greenhouse.
    In some plants this has led to leaf reddening (suprisingly rajah - I thought this liked high light), others e.g. jacquelinae & lowii nothing at all.
    I am going to leave them to adjust, its just interesting they seem to perceive this as high light when this is less than 1/10 of summer/tropical sunlight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked the light levels in my greenhouse. Planst are getting 2500 - 3000 fc. That is with 60% shadecloth over fiberglass and it's a sunny Winter day. Had been running lower light levels in the past, but since light has been increased, plants are doing much better. For example, new pitchers on N. talangensis are nearly 3x larger.

Will be interested to hear others weigh in on this,
    KPG
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have access to a PAR meter, and I'm going to take readings outdoors and compare them to readings from my lights.

It would be interesting to see what the light readings are for Nepenthes in the wild. I don't think that this has been done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just put in a new 400w HPS bulb, and measured it for ya.
    1500-2200 fc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many Fc is lumens?
    Need all the experience I can get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foot-candles and lumens measure different things, the SI unit corresponding to the fc is the lux. Essentially, lumens measure how much light is emitted by a source, fc or lux measure how much light falls on a surface.
    Since 1 fc=1 lumen/square foot, and 1 lux=1 lumen/square meter, 0.093 fc = 1 lux, conversely 10.76 lux = 1 fc.
    Cheers,
    T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you cant mesure how much a plant gets in lumens? my growlights has 13400 lumens. How can I mesure the lux then?
    Need all the experience I can get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I calculated there *should be* about 21222.41 fc [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] (OMG), then realised it was in lux. Thus 21222.41 lux = ~2000 fc.

That is not taking into account the age of the bulbs, light lost due to inefficient relfectors, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast