What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal shoot question

At the rate my basal shoot is going, it will probably be bigger than the mother plant in a few months. I know I can chop off the main mother plant to let the basal shoot grow even faster, but I don't want to do it. Can I make cuttings of the basal shoot like cut 2/3's of the basal shoot and use that as a cutting and will the cut basal shoot grow back. The nep in question is a N. x edinensis. Also, you weren't kidding when you said basal shoots grow fast, each new leave is 2-3 times bigger than the previous
smile_k_ani_32.gif

bump, so um can anybody answer my question before this thread ends up in page 5
smile_n_32.gif

i think it will have another shoot coming off that basal...

The basal shoot will form its on roots at some point (until then, the basal connection from the shoot to the main stem will act in place of the roots.) When the shoot has formed its own roots, you can remove it and pot it up as a separate plant. That answers the question, right?

How can I tell when the basal shoot has its own roots?

Lol, I made that mistake with my first basal shoot, short story shorter....it's dead :p

If you cut the basal shoot, the cut portion can be rooted, but the leftover part will probably not grow. On the other hand it will probably form a new basal shoot soon.

Back