What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pitcher Production

glider14

Always a newbie
Hello again,
My Ventrata is doing great except for the fact that...IT WONT PITCHER. I recieved it with 4 pitchers and two developing ones. After the developed ones "faded away" it was uo to my develpoing ones. The first was pretty big about one inch across and the other was only a half inch. the bigger one develpoed a small hole on the tendril then died and my other one turned brown and flaked off. right now i have another pitcher one the way and it dosent look good. Once again it is brown so I have little hopes.... Any suggestions for successful prodiction. Right now it is growing as a windowsill plant. I'll get pics soon.

Glider

Give it time - since your plant hasn't shown much pitcher growth since you got it, I suspect your only problem is that it's new. Nepenthes are fussy and don't like changes in growing conditions, so it will need anywhere between a few weeks and a few months to resume normal growth. In the mean time, check the humidity and make sure it's getting enough light on a regular basis.
Best luck,
~Joe

my whole plant
DSC00982.jpg

new pitcher(sorry its blurry)
DSC00983.jpg

Brand new leaf...with pitcher
DSC00984.jpg

Thanks Joe. Its been about a month so far I guess ill just have to wait

Last week , my N. x judith finn made a pitcher. This is the first pitcher since about 6-8 months and even though it's only 1 inch, it's a start
smile_n_32.gif

1 part vermiculite 1 part spaghnum peat

i think it may be that vermiculite and the sphagnum peat moss. the medium is problably a little compressed because of the sphagnum peat...

Ok thanks. SP is the easiest stuff to get for me so can I still use it and still let it be looser? What should i add to it?

Glider

everyone has thier "own" mix. what works for me may not work for you. i guess the universal mix is 100% long fiber shagnum. coco chips work well with whatever persentage you use. i use 50/50.
but that still may not be the solution to the problem your plant has. it could be something else. to me vermiculite is something that i rather not use.

Thanks FC.

I know that Nepenthes start out as a small, brown hook-looking thing that eventually develops into a pitcher. You might just have to wait for it to grow.

Back