User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 39

Thread: N. villosa

  1. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Is the black colouration on t he tendril rust spot fungus?
    Actually, I think it is sooty mold. Once in a while I'll see it crop up.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The present size must be 5" from tip to base?
    Pretty close. I think it's about 5.25 inches or so, perhaps more.

  2. #18
    srduggins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    so. cal.
    Posts
    668
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible plant! Makes me want to try one, but I want to make sure I can keep it cool enough in the summer here, before I try.

    I have the N. northiana cutting Santos is talking about. I haven't really checked for roots, but figure it probably has roots as the growing point is putting out its second or third leaf, (and it is a 3 node cutting, not 1.5) This thing was truly massive. I had to cut the leaves in half just to fit it in a 10 gallon tank, (and it barely fits). I have a 20 gallon tank to move it to, to make it more comfortable, before I try adjusting it to my lowland chamber.
    A day without Nepenthes is like a day without sunshine

    --steve

  3. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bow down to thee! Absolutely wonderful...
    Cheers
    Amori

  4. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]This thing was truly massive. I had to cut the leaves in half just to fit it in a 10 gallon tank, (and it barely fits). I have a 20 gallon tank to move it to, to make it more comfortable, before I try adjusting it to my lowland chamber.
    Yes, N. northiana is a very large species. Really impossible to grow to maturity unless it is allowed sufficient space. Be sure to use a wide pot for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I bow down to thee! Absolutely wonderful...
    I am honored. Thank you! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

  5. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Long Beach California
    Posts
    1,494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (neps @ Dec. 19 2005,11:24)]
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]This thing was truly massive. I had to cut the leaves in half just to fit it in a 10 gallon tank, (and it barely fits). I have a 20 gallon tank to move it to, to make it more comfortable, before I try adjusting it to my lowland chamber.
    Yes, N. northiana is a very large species. Really impossible to grow to maturity unless it is allowed sufficient space. Be sure to use a wide pot for it.
    since i live like 20 min away and his cutting has 2 growth points, ill be the first to get dibs on that nothiana... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

  6. #22
    Nepenthes Specialist nepenthes gracilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Alexandria Bay, NY Z-5a
    Posts
    6,341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful Jeff, that certainly made my spirits soar when I saw that image! Do you find/think that a regular highland specimen would do well in villosa's temperature range?

  7. #23

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Wonderful Jeff, that certainly made my spirits soar when I saw that image! Do you find/think that a regular highland specimen would do well in villosa's temperature range?
    Glad to hear that you found the image uplifting! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

    Regarding the suitability of the temperature regime I employ for N. villosa, I think that most highland Nepenthes would probably find it a bit on the cool side. I've only found a few Nepenthes which seem to require such very low overnight temperatures, among them being NN. villosa and lamii.

  8. #24

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a fantastic plant you have Jeff. I have seen several large villosa, 12" diam plants, grown by some of the more experienced Nep growers here in the UK, but none are close to producing pitchers on them as big or as beautiful as your plant. Thanks for sharing.

    Simon

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •