Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: water neps with tray method

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you grow the plants indoors, you shouldn't need to use the tray system. Most of my Neps are grown on an open shelf under lights, and I only have to top-water once a week. If you are looking to boost humidity, the tray sytem won't help much.

The mix I use is very chunky (LFS, lava and/or granite chips, bark). It holds plenty of moisture.

Brian

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks alot for the input guys. Does bark/lava/granite chips actually hold water? i thought they were just used to lighten the mix.
    I've been told that cocofibre and LFS break down really quickly. I really don't feel the mix is water retaining enough... it looks bone dry to me even after watering. So, i think ill add more LFS and do top watering.

Ill also put my bical, amp and raff in one tray and tray water them together.

Thanks!
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an alternative approach, one that I have borrowed from Elegecko & Capslock: Can you grow them in hanging baskets, by a window?

I would just have something under them to receive the drained water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have poured water in the bottom of tanks the plants have sat in for ....many years and I have seen only one plant rot-it was in a tank next to a window and was getting weak light. As somebody mentioned, just enough water to cover the bottom.
    Even though I have had success doing this, I hesitate to firmly recommend it to others. The majority go against this, and I assume they have seen problems first hand to doing this as opposed to simply regurgitating an "auto- response" to tray watering.
    There are probably many variations to why something works for some and not others(compost, light, humidity,ect).

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah very true...
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Ill try both methods and see if there's any difference. I guess neps are quite adaptable to what's given to them.

wezx
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you wanna use the tray method make sure that the pot is deep and try not place the neps roots too close to the bottom when you plant it. about .5 to 1 inch is fine. i know there are people who are reluctant to even try the water tray method but there are people such as peter himself that does this just to name someone.
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12