Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: N. bicalcarata

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine from Black Jungle Terrarium Supply. It is a baby though. I have had it for almost a year and it has leaves that are only about 4 inches long and no pitchers yet [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mean Plants(.com) has bicals both red flush and orange but you have to ask via email about them. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] good luck from there

glider
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CNC,
    As for no pitchers, bicals like light, humidity, wet substrate & heat.

I find that when I let the humidity go down too far (forgetting to fill the gravel pit with water in the tank will do that, you know....sometimes I want to kick myself....) or forget to water for too long (couple of days) it will refuse to pitcher. Now that I've been pretty good at keeping the tank nice & humid, it's started up again. First one is a little mishapen (still cool in its own way), but hopefully the next one will be nice & large. My plant roughly 15" or 16" in diameter (guesstimate) for what it's worth.

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Wow, you're quite adventurous, trying to force all 6 to 8 feet worth of bical in a 20 gal tank.
    At one point I had a 2', 1' and 5" specimen all in the same 20 gallon tank. Sure its not enough to get a mature specimen, I myself am content with fanged 3 inch pitchers.

N. bicalcarata doesn't seem to be too picky about soil, it doesn't need a lot of light. The important factors are:

Warmth: I noticed my plants pitchered most reliably during the summer when room temperature stayed above 70 degrees. If you don't heat your house you might consider putting your tank on a heat mat.

Humidity/Water: N. bicalcarata needs as close to 100% humidity as you can provide. Take the plant out for than a few minutes and the leaves start withering. This plant also has a large root system. What size pot you use is your choice. But lots of roots need lots of water. Let your setup go dry and the N. bicalcarata will be the first to notice.

Feeding: N. bicalcarata loves food. Pitchers burn if overfed, but put something in every pitcher and pretty soon you'll need a bigger tank.

I wonder if by underpotting you could keep a plant small enough for the tank and still have it pitcher...

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried to grow a bical. outdoors especially in Florida? I imagine you could for half the year during the warm, humid summer months. For the fall and winter I imagine you'd have to move it indoors or to a greenhouse.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicalcarata is very sensitive to changes in humidity and temperature as far as I can tell. A huge drop in humidity or temperatur may kill your plant. Or at least chock it for a long time.
    Need all the experience I can get...

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I have deffinately heard of bicals being grown outside in florida. Just protect it from strong sun. Your climate should be perfect for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great info Rubra! Would you suggest that I get a big 20 gallon tank for the one you're sending me?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast