What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. bicalcarata

Does anyone know where I can find a bicalcarata? I dying to get but can't seem to find any.

Chris

i hope bical doesnt turn out to be like aristo!
mad.gif

aristo has been around for quite some time but then sorta dissapeard from the U.S. and now sorta high priced not because its that rare, but the avialability...
confused.gif

but its better to want a bical when you have the right conditions to say it in a nice way.
smile_m_32.gif

i hope this discourages anyone else from saying something that may be discoraging you from getting one...
smile_l_32.gif
but take this advice...  
smile.gif

Bicals are too friggin big
mad.gif

yup! dont forget to give it lots of space!
one of my 'compas' (friends in spanish) has one and should be outgrowing its space pretty soon...

Not really worried about the space. But then again I can't say how big they really get. It seems bicals are at a premium making then (in my experience) tough to get. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Chris

Not worried about space? Jeese, you better hope that if you want to keep it in the long term, that you can accomidate a 6-8 foot diameter plant
confused.gif

While I've never seen a bical. in person, nor do I know how large they get, I find it hard to believe that the only way to successfully grow a health bical. is to provide a 6' - 8' diameter of growing space around it. If that were the case, I imagine you would have to spend a small fortune on shipping let alone the plant. My intentions are not to grow an award winning, super massive specimen but merely to enjoy the unique qualities the species has to offer. I do agree that if what you say is true (and it may be), bicals. have the potential to reach a mature growing diameter of 6' - 8' however, that does not mean it can't be grown otherwise. I'm looking for support and suggestions, not criticism and dissuasion. Please don't take this the wrong way. I greatly appreciate the concern and those of you that addressed it in a nice way. I'm just having a hard time finding any bicals. Thanks!

Chris

See, the trick is to get them small, and then sell them on ebay for big bucks when they outgrow your tank. You can have 2-3" pitchers on a 10" plant, but it is hard to keep it that size and have it continue to pitcher. Whatever you do, I'd suggest going with a tank size of at least 20 gallons.

Peter

You used to see red flush bicals all the time, and it is strange how they are no longer available.
Trent has a 5' diameter(I think) and that is the biggest I have heard of. I would love to see a pic of one larger than that(hint, hint).

Cheers,

Joe

cstriker,
I wish I could help you but the source I knew of is currently sold out. If you can hold out until spring you should be able to locate one easily. Just keep asking. I don't mind you asking, I encourage it. And, I certainly wouldn't make assumptions that you can neither grow the plant in "your" conditions, or maintain a mature specimen even though I don't know your growing abilities or growing arrangements. What I DO know is that a simple click on your profile revealed that you live near Tampa, Florida. You shouldn't have too much trouble growing it there and we have many members on this forum who live in your vicinity that may be able to help you with growing advice...if you should ever require it.

So please don't feel put off by the comments. You asked a simple question and rather than give you a simple answer, unfortunately, some folks gave you an ear full of hogwash.

Good luck with your search.

I appreciate the response Philcula. Thanks!

Chris

It's interesting that this thread popped up, since I'll be receiving one of these plants soon. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get the plant its own 20 gallon tank...

Wow, you're quite adventurous, trying to force all 6 to 8 feet worth of bical in a 20 gal tank. Just kidding! When you get it be sure to post lots of pictures. I would love to see a bical growing in a terrarium. Good luck.

Chris

I myself would already have a bical growing in the confines of my bedroom, if it weren't for the limitations of space and its immense size. I never worry about the conditional temperament of a species, but rather how large it gets. Same goes for a bical.

I got mine from Black Jungle Terrarium Supply. It is a baby though. I have had it for almost a year and it has leaves that are only about 4 inches long and no pitchers yet
smile_h_32.gif

Mean Plants(.com) has bicals both red flush and orange but you have to ask via email about them.
smile.gif
good luck from there

glider

CNC,
As for no pitchers, bicals like light, humidity, wet substrate & heat.  

I find that when I let the humidity go down too far (forgetting to fill the gravel pit with water in the tank will do that, you know....sometimes I want to kick myself....) or forget to water for too long (couple of days) it will refuse to pitcher.  Now that I've been pretty good at keeping the tank nice & humid, it's started up again.  First one is a little mishapen (still cool in its own way), but hopefully the next one will be nice & large.  My plant roughly 15" or 16" in diameter (guesstimate) for what it's worth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wow, you're quite adventurous, trying to force all 6 to 8 feet worth of bical in a 20 gal tank.

At one point I had a 2', 1' and 5" specimen all in the same 20 gallon tank. Sure its not enough to get a mature specimen, I myself am content with fanged 3 inch pitchers.

N. bicalcarata doesn't seem to be too picky about soil, it doesn't need a lot of light. The important factors are:

Warmth: I noticed my plants pitchered most reliably during the summer when room temperature stayed above 70 degrees. If you don't heat your house you might consider putting your tank on a heat mat.

Humidity/Water: N. bicalcarata needs as close to 100% humidity as you can provide. Take the plant out for than a few minutes and the leaves start withering. This plant also has a large root system. What size pot you use is your choice. But lots of roots need lots of water. Let your setup go dry and the N. bicalcarata will be the first to notice.

Feeding: N. bicalcarata loves food. Pitchers burn if overfed, but put something in every pitcher and pretty soon you'll need a bigger tank.

I wonder if by underpotting you could keep a plant small enough for the tank and still have it pitcher...

Peter

Back