Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes in Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Florida winters are perfect for many highlanders, but our summers are brutal! Some highlanders will take it and much depends on "how high up the hill" your particular plant originated. We've found most highland veitchii to do very well for us,even during the summer. Unfortunately, species like lowii simply can't pull through the hot summer nights we have from July to October. The main problem with highlanders in Florida is acheiving a cool night time temperature. During the summer, our humidity is also high, which overall is good for Nepenthes, but does not allow evaporative cooling to work very effectively. In areas such as south central Florida, the humidity can run very high, especially at night. The greatest degree of cooling you could hope to get would be only about eight degrees F or so. Not enough to satisfy your highlanders. You could air condition the greenhouse/growspace, but that creates a new set of problems, including a big electric bill.
    One thing we Florida growers can do that no one else can do on the continent quite as well: grow lowlanders!!!
    Why: simple because we are the southernmost part of the US 48 states. We have high humidity most of the year, sunshine all year! and mild winters(our lows into the upper thirties F requires minimal heating several times during the winter-nothing compared to growers up north-just ask Dustin and Tony!). We're blessed for lowlanders!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Trent @ Jan. 02 2006,9:14)]We're blessed for lowlanders!!
    dont forget hurricanes! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get used to them [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] .

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least we know when they're coming. You folks sitting on the San Andreas fault system...hmmmmm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AHHHHH! i know! lol
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]At least we know when they're coming. You folks sitting on the San Andreas fault system...hmmmmm.
    It's ok, I just listen to Dr. Turi. (sorry, I just couldn't help it)

Anyhoo, I'm lucky enough to live in an area of mediterranean climate in California. Every area has it's ups and downs, and even though the climate is good, the weather doesn't always play nice!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Long Beach and the coast is on the San Andreas fault, but Elk Grove is a little farther west and up north-ish, in the Sacramento valley, far from the fault line.

Quote[/b] ]Anyhoo, I'm lucky enough to live in an area of mediterranean climate in California. Every area has it's ups and downs, and even though the climate is good, the weather doesn't always play nice!
    Yes, and we've had pretty hard wind and rain lately. It's finally cleared up a bit, but I think rain is expected again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LONG BEACH! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast