Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes in Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to be honest. I just recently within the past 4 months seriously got into CPs. I also love Nepenthes. Currently I only have a ventricosa on my windowsill and two small sanguineas' in my terrarium. Both have been exploding with growth. But I'm a little discouraged. There are so many more species of highlanders (it seems) than lowlanders and some I really enjoy like lowii and ephippiata just to name a few. But Florida is too darn hot!!! I'm very jealous of people that live in climates like California that seem ideal for highlanders. I've thought about experimenting but I hate the idea of killing any plants. I'm also not sure if central Florida's climate would allow for lowlanders to grow outside or not. I'm worried those few mid-30F degree nights in the winter would kill them. Anyway, I'm just venting a little to the community. Happy growing!

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya your problem is the same as mine...until now. See this christmas I got a vivarium/terrarium tank and it beautifuly upholds highland conditions. Right now im looking for a Hamata and an Inermis to start(psh ya right start [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] ). its not gowing to get close to aristo or villosa but its on the verge of lowii and rajah (well sorta for rajah) I just need to tweak it a bit. I live in northern Kentucky and it has cold winters and hot summers so the only time i could ever possibly grow them succesfully out doors would be spring(not likley since frosts even happen late in spring) or fall which is still pretty hot *sigh*. I suggest the v/t and if you want more info just PM me [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've Pm'ed you.

N.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me?
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! I live right here in California! But if it makes you feel any better, only certain areas of California would be suitable for highlanders. Lucky me, I live in one of those areas!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In florida, N. "Viking" should be quite easy outdoors for most of the year. It is becoming more acessible in the U.S.A. ever since Trent at sunbelle exotics began importing from Thialand.
    N. "viking" is right up their in impressiveness with most of the showy highlanders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right about N. Viking. Thanks!

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Gemini528 @ Jan. 01 2006,8:07)]Lucky me, I live in one of those areas!
    me too! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast