What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

frustrated

Presto

wicked good plants!
Staff member
I got my first Nepenthes a few months ago...a little rafflesiana...and I've been waiting oh-so-patiently for it to develop pitchers.  the leaves have been growing strands which eventually develop a little pitcher at the end...which grows bigger and bigger...

and today I noticed the one that looked like it was closest to becoming an actual pitcher was brown, dried up, dead.

I think all the growing conditions are fine...nice and warm, very humid, a few hours of light a day.

there's still 5 pitchers-to-be...but man, I'm so anxious to see one open!

You probably need to give it more light. A few a day seems rather little even for a lowland like N. rafflesiana. What are your conditions exactly? Relative humidity in percentage, temperature in degrees etc...

Sometimes if there is not much air circulation, high humidity can bring trouble than blessing.

the thermometer in the terrarium broke..but before it did the temps were roughly 70 F at night, 80 or so during the day.  so that seems fine.

it's humid enough so that there's always condensation on the terrarium walls.  I also mist it with a spray bottle once a day. I'm going into town today, I'll see if i can find a humidity gauge

the terrarium itself is on a table next to a southwest-facing window...so it gets sun in the afternoon.  roughly 4 or 5 hours this time of year.

Did the pitcher touch the glass?

The light might be the problem.I have mine under light 14 hours a day and they pitcher fine with 50% humidity.

Jerry

It might also be the plant needs a little more time to adjust. I've had new plants abort their pitchers. Sometimes it takes 3-4 months to see a new pitcher.

Brian

It's at 85% humidity right now, but I just watered it.  And actually it's a little chilly.  67 degrees right now. I'll make it a little warmer.

the pitcher didn't touch the glass.

I'll see if I can find it a sunnier spot...

thanks for the help  =)

Most of what I have read about Nepenthes is that while there are several variables that go into pitcher production, adequate lighting seems to be the one that is most significant - and that can be more challenging in the winter, if one is depending upon sunlight (like me and my hanging baskets). Any opportunity to add artificial lighting?

I third the light idea. You can either find a sunnier spot (but be carefull of direct sun in a terrarium - can become an over) or get some artificial lighting to supplement what you do have where it is right now.

wowee, it's working!

pitcher.jpg

I got an 18-inch "plant and aquarium" light at home depot, and a cheapo fixture...altogether less than $30...and my plant's happier already!  look at that nice fat pitcher!  
laugh.gif

here's the setup in my tiny room:

terrarium.jpg

putting those textbooks to good use.  
smile_m_32.gif

yeah my raff took a long time to adjust.  i think thats what that is.

mine was making pitchers then stopped and then made this nice big one, well for me at least
nrafflesisnalowland59at.jpg

Congratulations on the recovery and my condolences for having to take Organic Chem! Oy! Wait a second... that book is way too thin for the textbook I remember - an thick, ugly, gray thing. (I thought you were into Env Sci.) I can see that you've been to Lowes (cube to the left).

fc3srx713b, that is a gorgeous pitcher!

yeah, I rescued that poor little S. purpurea from lowe's back in december...it had been in a dark corner since august or so, and I felt so bad for it...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ Feb. 01 2006,7:16)]fc3srx713b, that is a gorgeous pitcher!
thanks! its still small, some 2-3" tall

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ Jan. 30 2006,9:17)]wowee, it's working!

pitcher.jpg

I got an 18-inch "plant and aquarium" light at home depot, and a cheapo fixture...altogether less than $30...and my plant's happier already! look at that nice fat pitcher!
laugh.gif

here's the setup in my tiny room:

terrarium.jpg

putting those textbooks to good use.
smile_m_32.gif
how do you use that light on your books? since it shines everywhere

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]how do you use that light on your books?

I'm not too sure what you're asking?

I think peanuts1gang is asking how your light sits on the tank. It doesn't seem to have any directional reflector on it (which would help a lot, even just a homemade tinfoil one.)

Capslock

mm, yeah, I guess that's true. I'm not too worried about it, since it's supplementing the afternoon sunlight that the terrarium gets already. I might add some reflectiveness later.

Back