Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: frustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my first Nepenthes a few months ago...a little rafflesiana...and I've been waiting oh-so-patiently for it to develop pitchers. the leaves have been growing strands which eventually develop a little pitcher at the end...which grows bigger and bigger...

and today I noticed the one that looked like it was closest to becoming an actual pitcher was brown, dried up, dead.

I think all the growing conditions are fine...nice and warm, very humid, a few hours of light a day.

there's still 5 pitchers-to-be...but man, I'm so anxious to see one open!
    -Emily

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably need to give it more light. A few a day seems rather little even for a lowland like N. rafflesiana. What are your conditions exactly? Relative humidity in percentage, temperature in degrees etc...

Sometimes if there is not much air circulation, high humidity can bring trouble than blessing.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the thermometer in the terrarium broke..but before it did the temps were roughly 70 F at night, 80 or so during the day. so that seems fine.

it's humid enough so that there's always condensation on the terrarium walls. I also mist it with a spray bottle once a day. I'm going into town today, I'll see if i can find a humidity gauge

the terrarium itself is on a table next to a southwest-facing window...so it gets sun in the afternoon. roughly 4 or 5 hours this time of year.
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the pitcher touch the glass?
    Need all the experience I can get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The light might be the problem.I have mine under light 14 hours a day and they pitcher fine with 50% humidity.

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might also be the plant needs a little more time to adjust. I've had new plants abort their pitchers. Sometimes it takes 3-4 months to see a new pitcher.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's at 85% humidity right now, but I just watered it. And actually it's a little chilly. 67 degrees right now. I'll make it a little warmer.

the pitcher didn't touch the glass.

I'll see if I can find it a sunnier spot...

thanks for the help =)
    -Emily

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of what I have read about Nepenthes is that while there are several variables that go into pitcher production, adequate lighting seems to be the one that is most significant - and that can be more challenging in the winter, if one is depending upon sunlight (like me and my hanging baskets). Any opportunity to add artificial lighting?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast