What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowii question

glider14

Always a newbie
Hello again,
On one of my recent topics I asked if lowii was an ok candidate for a Highland terrarium. The answer i was given was no...what is the reason for this size, or requirements of humidity and temperature. I am strongly looking forward to buying one so I need insight first.

Thanks
Gider

Just buy one if your temps and humidity are alright. It wont be outgrowing the terarium any time soon
smile.gif

Ok thanks
smile.gif

Keep in mind, if you expect to see N. lowii's famous pitchers, expect to wait at least 5-10 years, and that's in perfect growing conditions!

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
i might reconsider
smile_n_32.gif
i didnt know they would appear THAT far in life...

Its no laughing matter to see N. lowii uppers! Trust me. I've had my plant for 5 years now and its just starting to look nice.

They didn't nick name it "slowii" for nothing, ya know.

I don't think size was the reason someone cautioned against it in a highland terrarium - LOL is right about that. Might be because of the other plants you have in there? Did you mention what those were? Lowii is a true highlander - I've heard it called ultra highland before (though I think that may be extreem). The point is that it may require cooler night temps than other plants you plan to grow.

I think that lowii's reputation, along with that of N. rajah, is a bit unfair. Whilst it is slower than many species, it is not all that slow when grown in ideal conditions. Further, the larger it gets the faster it grows.

Lowii from Trus Madi gets extremely large. The variants from Mulu and Murud are considerably smaller. The Kinabalu for is somewhere in between. Those are the main varieties in cultivation, but lowii, like ephippiata, has a much broader geographical distribution than previously realised.

Anyway, it would be good in a terrarium for several years. Once it matures though, it would need a greenhouse or much larger set-up.

Cheers, Hamish

I was thinking the Mulu one cause i knew it was smaller than the normal Lowii. Dont underestimate my terrarium my friends. ITS HUGE. i think the dimensions are 18inx18inx24in so its not very small
smile_n_32.gif
i am a realy random person going from one thing to the next(lowland to highland) and its usually not the best thing to do so im back to lowlanders along with drosera pings and VFTs

not to be negative or anything but thats not large by any stretch, im using a space thats about 18 inches deep by 42 inches long by 24 inches high and im short on room and i only have 11neps(3 of which are quite small), 4 Utrics and a couple orchids and im out of room and trying to fugure out how to get more. my eymae x veitchii is over a foot in diameter leaf tip to leaf tip as is my amp. the amp has started to vine so the 24 inches of hieght isnt tall enough. unless your starting with small plants or keeping real slow growers you will actually run out of room faster than you think if your keeping more than 2 or 3 neps.

lol well i have no new pics but heres an old one from early summer. the eymae x veitchii, veitchii, amp and Ile de France are bigger. i have since added my hamata, aristo and lowii(all in 3 inch pots and range from tiny to small. the humidifier was taken out and 2 vanilla orchids and one other sit in its place.

nepsetup.jpg

here is a shot of the whole stand. my wife hates how it looks and says i need to make sides out of plexi so it looks better. havent had time to do that yet.
wholesetup.jpg

Glider.. considering your comment, your posts and your lack of experience I would not suggest you to grow N.lowii it would be a waist of money. Im not being rude here this is just facts.
You said you had problems getting a N.ventrata for pithcer.

Then its like you have just managed to build a bicycle that dont work and now you are trying to build a car.

no offence Tyfone but ive gotten ventrata to pitcher in 20% humidity and it doesnt pitcher in the setup i just posted a picture of. being that any lowii he is going to find is going to be a tc plant, who really cares if its an experiment? its his money and his time. its best to learn by doing.

No problem Rattler you are probably right. I just wanted to tell him that he shouldnt be expecting to much.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TyFone @ Jan. 04 2006,2:48)]your posts and your lack of experience I would not suggest you to grow N.lowii it would be a waist of money.
COME ON NOW! YOU WANNA GET THEM INTO IT NOT AWAY FROM NEPS. SORRY BUT I HATE WHEN THIS HAPPENS. IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY THEN IT SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM. ITS NOT LIKE YOU'RE EXPERIMENTING ON AN ANIMAL OR SOMETHING.... GEEZ!
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I just wanted to tell him that he shouldnt be expecting to much
like i said if money aint a thang...

I'd just add to the previous comments that it doesn't hurt to give it a go. You will never know unless you try, and then try and try some more. Many myths have been busted by those with the curiosity to see how far they can push the boundaries. Small lowii can be obtained cheaply, so it can't hurt.

If it grows well, you get quite a few years pleasure out of it before it will need a bigger space.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ Jan. 05 2006,4:21)]I'd just add to the previous comments that it doesn't hurt to give it a go. You will never know unless you try, and then try and try some more. Many myths have been busted by those with the curiosity to see how far they can push the boundaries. Small lowii can be obtained cheaply, so it can't hurt.

If it grows well, you get quite a few years pleasure out of it before it will need a bigger space.
Yeah, but if you want to 'push the boundaries' you shouldn't be trying to push anything too ridiculous through (e.g. like growing villosa in 30*C nights). Or maybe, if all other conditions were perfect.....
smile_n_32.gif

Im not trying to scare him off growing nepenthes. I just suggest that he should try easier species first. I mean its funnier to have a thriving N.sanguinea or N.ventricosa then a struggeling N.lowii.
But ok I wont say anything anymore then.

Back