What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this an N. sanguinea?

I picked this Nepenthes up at a local hardware store a few months ago.  It was unlabeled and now I think the pitchers are large enough that it can be identified.  I think it's a saguinea but I'm not 100% sure.  Its been pitchering like mad.  What do you all think?  And by the way, how do you phonetically pronouce sanguinea?  Thanks!

DSC00439.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

Chris

No pics! It says, 'Oops! My image for this link is no longer here.'
As for the pronounciation, though, it's "san-ghin-ee-ha" or "san-gwin-ee-ha" depending on who you talk to. I pronounce the '-guin-' part like in 'Papau New Guinea' - "ghinney." But it could also be like 'sanguine,' which is 'of or relating to the characteristics of blood' and has a 'w' sound where the 'u' is. I'm pretty sure it's the former, though, 'cuz that's how the guys at Sarracenia NW pronounced it when I got my first N. sanguinea from them.
I hope you get a positive ID! Best luck.
~Joe

Sorry.  How about now.

Chris

Hi!
Yes,it could be a Sanguinea,the leaf seems to be similiar to the plant. Also the pitcher.
Wait a little longer in order to have a real image of an adult plant.
Why are you not sure that it is a sanguinea?
It is a green form of sanguinea....
Bye!

Mr_Aga
Milan ITALY

I would say it's N. sanguinea. Definitely a good find at a hardware store. I've never seen a N. sanguinea for sale here in Southern California.

agreeing both with MrAga73 and LLeopardGGecko, it is a N. Sanguinea.

Thanks all! I thought so but I'm sort of a newbie so I wasn't sure.

Chris

Did the plant have any labels that had a company name? There is one I know of that puts out x ventrata and sanguinea to distribute to places like hardware and grocery stores.

-D. Lybrand

Today I feel myself really a good boy!
I give you a taste of my RED BLOOD Nepenthes sanguinea when she was in terrarium. Now she is nearly 90 cm tall!
Bye!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

nepenthes_09.jpg

It definitely looks like a sanguinea to me, but I'm no expert. I'd wait for it to get a little bigger before drawing any absolute conclusions. But seeing as you got it at a hardware store, sanguinea would probably be your best bet.
~Joe

PM'd you DlyBrand. Awesome color Mr. Aga. Wish mine looked like that.

Chris

Thanks Cstriker,
Sanguinea is a plant that can look different depending of the various clones. From green,to orange, to red,to purple!
What until she will be ad adult plant to discover its real color!
Bye!
Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

so is that the purple you got mraga? looks like a hybrid with ramispina to me?

Mr Aga, was your shirt worn to match the blood red N. sanguinea? You kinda of overshadowed the pitcher in the 2nd pic.
smile_m_32.gif

Awhile back I posted this picture, which I thought was N. ventricosa, but others thought it was N. sanguinea. We have a new crop of forum members; what do you think?

N_sanguinea.sized.jpg

Hey Jim! I'm going to say that's N. sanguinea as well.

Does that count even if I'm not a new forum member?
smile_n_32.gif

My Sanguinea is the coloured clone.
No matter if it is purple,dark red,orange or red.
It depends simply of the provenience.
My sanguinea has been buyed from Gert Hoogentriid.
See yah!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Looks exactly like my sanguinea

Back