User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: OSMOCOTE Testing on Nepenthes SUCCESSFULLY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always a great reaction by Nepenthes when using Osmocote. Joe Mazrimas, Founder of the ICPS and the CPN, has always used Osmocote on his neps. The type Joe used was Osmocote 10-10-10. Always seemed to work wonders with nepenthes! This was back in 1983 or so when he divulged this to me, but it is in an issue of the CPN somewhere.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been reading of people putting Osmocote in the soil media, as well as in the pitchers. And of course, there are mixed results - like destroying a pitcher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We, and a pair of friend of mine went today to visit a friend with its carnivorous plants and we discover new INTERESTING things!
    I did grow a lowii in my terrarium with nice temperatures for an highland and my friend did grow the same plant only under a sodium lamp ( without high humidity levels) : this was the amazing result : his 3 plants developed each 4-5 leafes with nice traps BUT mine only 2 1 leaf with trap and 2 new leafes....
    WITHOUT any doubts...Osmocote did really make a nice work!
    In addition...he showed me some plants that at beginning were little than some others and as they begun to be under the effect of the osmocote....they reached and doubled the size of the most biggest!
    Man...it is super!

Mr_Aga
    Milan - ITALY
    Mr_Aga
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personaly I think its like anything else. Some plants can take fertilizer, but give them too much and you will kill them. I think Neps are like that. I know with Orchids. There are some orchids that are heavy feeders and there are some that take very little or they will get burned. I think its very interesting to see these effect and I am glad someone is taking the chance and doing it. This is how we learn about things. Take chances. It may not be a strict scientific experiment, but its an experiment none the less. I think it has been proven without a doubt that fertilizing does have an impact on Nepenthes growth. Now we should be looking at what dose is good without compromising pitchers, but gives the best growth rate. There is bound to be differences with different species. That should be taken as a given, but to say how do we know its from the fertilizer and not just a growth serge is, to me, unsubstanciated. Since that plant has remained that dwarf size for over 2 years to me tell me the osmocote gave it what it needed to have its serge in growth. That would be like saying a small child with a bad diet getting a growth spirt after being put on a good diet that it wasn't from a diet, but from his age. Good nutrition is just as important to the growth of plants as it is the growth of anything else. We just don't want to over feed because of feers of them refusing to pitcher due to the fact that they are getting everything from the soil. Has anyone had a plant stop pitchering from over fertilizing? Is it really possible, or has it just been speculated it will stop pitchering from over fertilizing? Also is the rate of fertilizing to stop pitchering above or below the rate that would burn roots? I think these are some of the next questions that should be asked. Just my 2 cents.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

.........We just don't want to over feed because of feers of them refusing to pitcher due to the fact that they are getting everything from the soil. Has anyone had a plant stop pitchering from over fertilizing? Is it really possible, or has it just been speculated it will stop pitchering from over fertilizing? Also is the rate of fertilizing to stop pitchering above or below the rate that would burn roots? I think these are some of the next questions that should be asked. Just my 2 cents.............

JB_OrchidGuy : this is a good question...for me that a plant could stop pitchering with over fertilizing sound so strange....but maybe it is true. I mean...this...is not something I can show or test so easily...we should ask to some biologists here in the forum.
    "If the plant has enough azote it does not need to develope pitchers"...sure..this sounds nice...the concept has a sense. But are we sure about that?
    Bye!

Mr_Aga
    Milan - ITALY
    Mr_Aga

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, what dosage of Osmocote is appropriate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used 1 ball every 1 cm of area. I used all the 3 colors of my osmocote.
    Bye

Mr_Aga
    Milan - ITALY
    Mr_Aga

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL! I have to convert cm to inches! But I hear ya. yeah, each ball represents something different. Have you tried applying them to pitchers themselves. That was done by someone on CPUK, with disastrous results.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast