User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 21

Thread: Nepenthes hamata

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question

    Hello fellow CPers.
    My Nepenthes hamata suffered a week-long drought over the summer last year. This caused the leaves to grow smaller, yet as strong as the previous ones. It's growth of rate wasn't as impressive as when I had first received it, and the pitchers' size had obviously been greatly reduced.
    I gave it Osmocote as an effort to try and help it recover, but this probably didn't do much more than speed it up a little - the plant refused to grow any larger, despite its healthy root system and the dose of Osmocote.

    After losing my patience I decided to do the following to all my plants:

    1. Repot into looser, fresh Sphagnum moss, in aquatic plant pots as opposed to a peat-LFS-perlite substrate in conventional plastic flowerpots;
    2. Remove all Osmocote;
    3. Spray with a systemic insecticide in case pests were causing any trouble;
    4. Feed the plants via the pitchers with bloodworm mash, and spray occasionally with a heavily diluted organic epiphytic fertiliser (seaweed extract). No other factors were changed (temperature, humidity etc.).

    I don't know what factor/s played the biggest role, but the results seem quite apparent in the pic below. Either I gave it a jolly good boot in the hind or the plant felt it was just about time to get going, but all the same I'm happy it's back on track (the plant is in a 13cm container):



    From this I have learned that feeding the plants via their traps is the safest and probably most effective method, as long as the collection remains at a manageable size!

    Cheers
    Amori

  2. #2
    War. War never changes. Est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    3,935
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very cool! I've got a tiiiiny little hamata that I've been having some trouble with, I hope it'll pull through. Very nice job, looks like it's pulled itself back up quite nicely!
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems that everything is going well now for your N. hamata!

    Which reminds me, I definitely have to aquire one of these Neps for my new terrarium...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Mount Dora
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand of pesticide did you use?
    It's like walking out a door and discovering it's a window.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nickz123: I used Provado Bug Killer (UK), in other words, imidacloprid. It's an all-rounder pesticide and acaricide (kills mites), and it has worked wonders for me (always read the instructions!).

    Cheers
    Amori

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking hamata. How often do you feed the pitchers? If I use small insects, I feed my pitchers about once a week. It takes a while before it kicks in, but the end results are always good.

    I've used bloodworms for pings and sundews, but I've never tried it on Neps. This morning I gave my neps a few and I'll see how it works.

    Brian

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    california
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice job. more than likely it was the miticide. I'm sure good food and fresh potting helped too. If you want even better results, try a systemic fungicide as well. Usually get large growth spurts after I use it on my guys. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    784
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian_W: I use freeze-dried bloodworms on my sticky plants, and frozen bloodworms for my Neps. I mash it up with a small fork (smells extremely foul), mix it with a little distilled/RO/deionized water, and suck it up a syringe. This is convenient since this allows me to feed the smaller pitchers without causing any considerable damage to them.

    rlhirst: I don't see how the systemic helped that much - there were no obvious signs of pests and, if there were, the rest of my collection would've been affected as well (which they weren't) - some plants didn't show any visible improvement in growth at all and remained the same (healthy). I know what you mean though, as many pests are elusive and I have seen plants "recover" from something they didn't even have.

    I personally point out the substrate as a big culprit. I failed to mention it earlier, but all my plants were potted in extremely tightly packed LFS - which I now realise is a very big no no. I reduced the amount of substrate by at least 2/3 for each plant, and it seemed obvious that their roots weren't acquiring enough fresh air (I don't know what i was thinking...).

    Cheers
    Amori

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •