What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowii x Truncata

post-2752-1136512089.jpg

post-2752-1136512108.jpg

this last pic shows the "sweet" stuff being produced
post-2752-1136512125.jpg

Cooooool pics! Love that peristome! Thanks for sharing.
smile.gif

Great photos, Machete!
Especially like the shot looking down into the glandular area.  Nice work!  

N. lowii x truncata is a great hybrid.  Here is a so-so shot of the peristome of another one.  Look carefully and you can see a couple of bristles inherited from N. lowii hanging from the lid:
9a4b0629.jpg

KPG

I like your Machette. Does yours stay on the green side throughout the picher's life? N. lowii x truncata will prove to be one of the best hybrids of the decade. I can't wait until this Exotica order is done with. I'll be getting a really big lowii x truncata, hopefuly with some good intermediate pichers to take photos of
smile.gif
. I tried to take some more pics of the latest pichers on mine. I haven't seen a clone that gets quite this dark, maybe too dark
smile_m_32.gif

IMAGE_234.jpg

IMAGE_233.jpg

IMAGE_232.jpg

My phone still can't get good pics of the glands, or the two hairs under the lid
smile_h_32.gif

I posted a pic of mine taken about 6 months ago. The colour is a bit off, in real life it is a deep, deep purple, the same as lowii - .
lowii%20x%20truncata%2022Oct05_1.JPG

I've got a nice big pitcher developing at the moment which should be ready in about 3 weeks, so I'll post a new pic then.

A pic of that plant, six months later, should have pichers about 11" or more. At least, that would be my guess
smile.gif

Hey guys, great plants!

How do you grow yours? Highland, lowland, or somewhere in between? I've been debating on whether or not to get one....

Do they tend to display "hybrid resilliance" (less effected by humidity/temperature fluxuations), or do they favor the lowii pickiness?

Lowii hybrids tend to ber very vigorous for some reason, and lowii x truncata is no exeption. It has the appearance of a fast grower (even though it only produced a full new leaf every 1.5 months for me) because it increases in size so quickly. It's easy in intermediate conditions, and tolerates low humidity well. It is rather unique in its growth and preferences, unique from either parent if you ask me. You should deffinately get one, before it becomes scarce. It's a very rewarding hybrid to grow.

lol-the pitchers do stay more on the green side, probably not getting enough light.
I grow this plant in the kitchen next to a window. With some of the cooler nights, it has been growing a little faster it seems.
You guys have some nice plants, makes me think I need to add some light to my little guy.

Hi all:

congratulations everyone. beautiful lowii X truncata. i would like to show you these two pics.

lowtrun3.jpg

lowtrunc4.jpg

It looks like the peristome is becoming elliptical (egg shaped) and the lid is showing more hairs

Gus

Beautiful plants.  My new lowii x truncata is just starting to develop its first pitcher.  The updated photo at exotica plants shows the mouth becomes very elongated:  exotica

hey i got a question for yall...how big do these hybrids get and what conditions do you grow them in?

I talked to Geoff, and he said his largest was like 2.5' in diameter. He said the plants should get to atleast the size of truncata, 3' . What amazes me is that he said even his largest plants don't have full "uppers" yet. I guess the pics we've been seeing are intermediates. And plus, when you consider that truncata makes its largest pichers as upper pichers, and the uppers on lowii hybrids tend to be the largest on the plant, the true uppers on this hybrid should be huge!

I have a 3'x3' area reserved for my plant. I can't wait to see what the uppers look like. The intermediate pitchers look awesome. I love the expanded mouth and peristome. It will eventually be a legendary hybrid.

Back