Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rooting cuttings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To a certain degree. But I would hazard a guess that slow-rooting species, such as burbidgeae, would rot regardless of how often its water were refreshed.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SydneyNeps @ Jan. 09 2006,5:16)]Cuttings can be taken in water for those species which grow and root quickly, like gracilis and x Ventrata. I'm sure there are other lowland species which would work well. But many highland species can be particularly slow to root, and standing them in water for that length of time would be more likely to see them rot before rooting.
    And perhaps that is what she is having success with rooting in this manner. I'll have to check and make sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well today i checked to squeeze the excess water out of the moss and i notice that one of the ventratas are getting some rootlets! i have to check the other one with no leaves in about 3 weeks to see the progress...
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My method of making cuttings is to shave the outter skin off the plant (use a very sharp scalpel so as to not damage the tissues but make clean quick slices) this allows the roots to grow from wherever they feel, in any direction. After this dip in rootone as already stated and pack tightly into a small pot (I like 2 1/2" jiffy pots cos they're cheap and you can fit a lot of them in a small space) I say tightly because the wobbling of a plant which is trying to root will damage the young, thin and very fragile roots. Also, I believe the surface contact between the inner tissues of the plant and the soil inspires the roots to really dig in. This method has given me a fantastic success rate with almost all neps I grow (coupled with proper temps, humidity, etc.).
    The only ones who don't work for me are N. ampullaria stem cuttings. Try as I might it just don't happen. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

edit: I wanna add be sure to mist the stem/leaf/stem cutting (whatever you have) every couple days as this is where your plant will get it's moisture until it creates roots. I don't water cutting soil more than about once every two weeks since too much water in the soil will cause the planted portion of the stem to rot. Just keep the soil barely moist until you see some decent upper growth of a real leaf (not the pseudoleafs which will occour first), that seems to be a good indicator of some action below the soil as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all ur posts! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123