Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rawr.. my bical won't grow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    indeed bical have very long leaves and pitcher huge as apple .The photo i took in Sri Aman does not show the length and pitcher size as i took from quite a distance. When i revisit and taken photos i will post again. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My N. bicalcarata took two years to pitcher. It was fussy for me despite the fact that I am living in tropical lowland conditions. After shifting it around in my balcony, it decided that it loved a particular corner.

See pics.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Cindy, when you repotted the Bical, did you encounter any difficulty? I am thinking of repotting my Bical but I've never actually repotted something so big before. Did you dig up the plant or did you turn the pot upside down to get the plant out? I'm just worried that I could cause it undue stress given that I read elsewhere that it's a fussy plant when it comes to repotting. However, it is getting quite big for its present pot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose this is OT but Cindy, can you share your successful Nep rooting method? I remember that you always have lots of cuttings to share and that probably means that you have a very good success rate with the cuttings! I am planning on doing some cuttings (primarily because my N x Gentle looks like it's getting very old and probably dying).

The last time I tried any cuttings, only 4 out of 10 (or so) worked - and 3 were of the supposedly very easy N.gracilis. I had them in LFS, slit the base at an angle, made some minor slits at the base and applied rooting hormone. I then placed the whole thing in a plastic bag, which I then transfered to a tank in a bid to keep the humidity (probably overdoing it) in. I watered by putting water directly into the tank, sort of like a big "tray method".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey DD,

Bicals have very large root systems, so it may be that you need to repot. Also, they like it hot,wet & humid. Mine is growing in a large pot (10" pot for a 14" plant) in LFS mixed with some orchid mix for a little "chunk."

Interestingly, my bical went into a long period of not pitchering....then finally decided, "what the heck," and began again. Only then did I put a thermo/hydromter in the tank....The day humidity levels were getting down to 50%. No wonder it wasn't so thrilled. Since I've increased the humidity levels (two weeks ago), the plant has perked up and SEEMS to be doing better....I guess it might be a little early to tell, though.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want your bical to grow fast, you need 75-90 percent humidity and day temps around 90 F.
    When we repotted 'Big Mama' two years ago, her root mass was so extensive, she was molded to the contours of the pot. We simply moved the "root brick" into a much larger pot (20 gallon) and packed in the sphagnum moss around. Like Dave mentioned, a little chunk to add extra drainage would be helpful. We find pure Wisconsin lfs works great for us.
    We'll get pics up soon, but are having internet problems right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. When you say "10 inch" pot, does the "10 inch" refer to the depth of the pot or the diameter? Trent, your 20 gallon pot... do you know the diameter or depth in inches? That would make it easier for me to find a similar one here [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 inch refers to the diameter. Our 20 gallon pot is a standard size used by the palm tree nurseries here in Florida.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast