What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

which species is this?

Hi all:

can anybody tell me which species is this?
Please no cheating

izumiaeupper.jpg

Gus

Lol, I may not have cheated if you wouldn't have mentioned cheating...

N. Khasiana maybe???

Same here you shouldnt have mentioned cheating :p

I agree with yoss...Looks like khasiana to me.

Sorry, I cheated too. That is amazing. I've never seen one of those before. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that it isn't dark, like the lowers, but I am.

You should rename the file to a nondescript name like 001213 before posting Gus.
smile_m_32.gif

Hi all:

I agree Dustin, but i also wanted to see the honesty left in my fellow nepenthes growers!. Looks like curiosity is stronger!.
confused.gif

Anyway the intention here is not to show off anything but to make a point and at the same time to criticize nepenthes taxonomy:

you have obviously seen this:
http://www.wistuba.com/01b0219....ex.html

Well, if you compare the uppers of N. izumiae from G. Talakmau from this site versus that of Exotica plants, then the plants look very similar but yet the lid on the lowers and uppers are different.

EP plants tend to have a hooded lid (it looks like someone's dark rear) if i may say so, while those of plants shown in Nepenthes of sumatra and peninsular malaysia page 211 are flattened. so the uppers of these two plants also show those differences

In no way, i am doubting the identity of either of the two sources of izumiae because both have been confirmed to be the real thing by Charles Clarke, so the only conclusion i can come up with is that these two plants are variants of the same species.

If N. mirabilis complex is composed of several plants looking different but yet named as the same species ie, N. mirabilis cape York mottled, N. mirabilis chumphon, N. mirabilis echinostoma etc. why can't N. izumiae have two variants?

Gus
smile_l_32.gif

Gus, izumiae, like quite a few other Sumatran species from the same area like jacquelineae, aristolochioides, bongso and inermis, are found on 2, 3 or more mountains, so there are slight differences between the areas within some of these species.

Hi Hamish: thanks for the info. The reason behind my argument is that both of these plants are from the same mountain gunung talakmau, as far as i know.

Gus

Gus, given they're both from Talakmau, and not from Lusung Tungkut or another location, you wouldn't know without field observations whether there is consistent different populations, or whether there is another factor involved such as hybridisation. It's always highly possible that there is some differentiation with a small population, even in a very restriction geographical range. I'll have a word with someone who collected seed from those mountains the year before last to see whether he has photos which may give clues.

Hi Hamish:

Yes, I agree that without field observations, nothing is certain. I still tend to believe that  the "hooded izumiae" is in fact a variant of the other species, definitely not a hybrid since this plant has been examined thoroughly by Dr. Clarke himself.

The hooded izumiae is very interesting as far as i know, no other species have such a hood-shaped lid with a distinctive groove in the middle. Hybrids don't usually show unique characteristics.

Gus

Gus and all , is the wok shape lid (round and curve) common? I have one unidentified Nep. with this wok shape lid . Let's name the spp. you 've seen this wok shape lid. It may give us clue . //Nong
DSC01346_resize.JPG

And here is another lid form.I'm curious to know anyone have seen this form before//Nong
DSC01349_resize.JPG

Hi Nong and all:

nice plant you've got there. I like the word "wok" for the lid.
do you have photos of the leaves, upper pitchers or is that an upper?

I am sure there are other species with the wok shaped lid, but there are not many i can think of.

Gus

Back