What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes of the Week #1

Alright, so here's the deal: Once a week I'm going to start a topic on a Nep about which very little is known. If you know anything about it, please tell us! (And post pics if you grow it!)

N. junghuhnii
Macfarlane

Possibly a synonym for singalana. However, they are both apparently listed as species by Jebb & Cheek. Any other info?

-D. Lybrand

wow i have never heared of it...
confused.gif

Yes never heard of it either
confused.gif

Bye for now Julian

You don't mean N. macfarlanei do you?

I think he means that it was Macfarlane who found it...

Check the ICPS Database.
http://www.omnisterra.com/bot....rch=all
Here is what is listed:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]N: ~[Nepenthes junghuhnii {Macf.}]nom.nud.
P: in sched. (1917)
T: Batak region, Sumatra, ID, Junghuhn 275 (K)
S: =?[Nepenthes bongso {Korth.}]

N: ~[Nepenthes junghuhnii {auct. non Macf.: Ridl.}]
P: J.Fed.Mal.St.Mus.8, 4:79 (1917)
T: G.Kerinci, Sumatra, ID, 27. 4. 1914, Robinson & Kloss s.n. (BM)
S: =[Nepenthes singalana {Becc.}]

TyFone, you're right, Macfarlane was the one who discovered it.

BobZ, you found kind of what I found except that now it may be a synonym for bongso OR singalana? Well, two sources say it is synonymous with singalana and one says it might be bongso (is that how I should interperet the '?'). Thanks BobZ, I think it's probably singalana, though that doesn't explain why junghuhnii, singalana, and bongso are all listed as species by Jebb & Cheek. Did Macfarlane, Korthals and Beccari all report the same plant as their discovery? There is obviously difference between singalana and bongso, so what exactly does junghuhnii look like?

Anyway, it appears that this plant is certainly nothing strange or bizarre that we have never seen before. Next week, I'll post another one of these! I've got a few more I've found, just need to get back to the library to do some research!

-D. Lybrand

Not sure where your reading that Jebb & Cheek have it listed as a species. In volume 15 Flora Malesiana it is listed as a synonym for N. singalana by Jebb & Cheek.

There was alot of confusion with Nepenthes when many were described multiple times, not realizing how a single species can change pitcher form from lower to upper.

Hey Tony. Thanks for clearing things up a bit! I said that Jebb & Cheek listed it as its own species based on what is posted on the CP Jungle website. It didn't mention that junghuhnii was listed as an exception to Jebb & Cheek's (on which the list is based) but I guess that info is outdated.

Unfortunately I do not have access to any comprehensive published species listings for Nepenthes, so I have to go with what I find on the internet. But of course, that's why I posted this!

-D. Lybrand

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dlybrand @ Jan. 19 2006,6:58)]Unfortunately I do not have access to any comprehensive published species listings for Nepenthes, so I have to go with what I find on the internet. But of course, that's why I posted this!
The most comprehensive (and authoritative) listing of Nepenthes is the ICPS Carnivorous Plant Database.
http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi
Simply type in: Nepenthes. There are several options on that page: All Names; Only Accepted Names; Only Cultivar Names.

One might quibble with some of Jan's taxonomic decisions, but it is the culture of taxonomists to argue over classifications.

Thanks. I've been to that site before, but only knew you could look up species. Maybe I should have read the instructions...

-D. Lybrand

Danser thought 'junghuhnii' might be a natural hybrid of singalana and sanguinea (but as sanguinea's never been found in Sumatra that theory's now thought a non-runner).
Gives you some idea what it must look like, though....
T.

Back