What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Down Right Scary

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 23 2006,4:33)]I checked out this thread on my laptop (I'm at school right now) and NOW I can see the picture.

Sweet plant elgecko
cool.gif
 Where did you originally get your N. hamata? I would love to have one.
Yeah, I want to get one to. Where did you originally get yours?

Thanks for the link elgecko. It seems that they don't have any in stock at the moment, though. Bummer! I really want one!

Do you remember how much you payed for it and how old the plant was?

I think he has been out for some time. N hamata's in the US are very difficult to find right now.
At the time I purchased mine it was $65.00, that was over a year and a half ago.
I was very happy with the size of the plant. Tony's plants are top notch.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Jan. 22 2006,3:25)]...It is grown as a windowsill plant.
muwahah! i love that!

so you grow this as windowsill? do you have any shading or just the window screen? what are your conditions...

BTW, like me and another friend like saying, you cant argure with success!
smile_o_32.gif
smile_l_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Jan. 23 2006,7:05)]I think he has been out for some time. N hamata's in the US are very difficult to find right now.
At the time I purchased mine it was $65.00, that was over a year and a half ago.
I was very happy with the size of the plant. Tony's plants are top notch.
Pretty pricey, but I wouldn't mind paying that for such a unique plant. I'll have to keep an eye out for when they get back in stock.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Jan. 23 2006,10:21)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Jan. 22 2006,3:25)]...It is grown as a windowsill plant.
muwahah! i love that!

so you grow this as windowsill? do you have any shading or just the window screen? what are your conditions...

BTW, like me and another friend like saying, you cant argure with success!
smile_o_32.gif
smile_l_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
Actually it's a sliding glass door facing south were I grow my plants. I just use the term windowsill because it's easier.
The 2 large hanging baskets are 14". The smaller hanging basket is 6". I would really like to move the nep from the 6" into a 14" basket, but I do not have room.
smile_h_32.gif

nepwindow.jpg

During the day the blinds are totally open, so whatever sun light comes through the glass is what they get.
The average humidity is 40%.

elgecko: I love your setup with those hanging baskets. I can see both your bigger Neps are climbing up toward the ceiling! How do you water those baskets without getting your floor all wet?

how do you get it to be cool enough and dosent N. Hamata need A LOT of humidity to pitcher? same thing with the Rafflesia unless they are acclimated that is...
and wait a sec a tru lowlander and a true highlander growing side by side?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?? apocalypse!

N. hamata isn't the tempramental monster it's supposed to be. It certainly can't take hot conditions, but lives happily in intermediate/highland conditions, in my experience. It's just that they cost so darn much that it's scary to grow.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Jan. 27 2006,3:30)]how do you get it to be cool enough and dosent N. Hamata need A LOT of humidity to pitcher? same thing with the Rafflesia unless they are acclimated that is...
and wait a sec a tru lowlander and a true highlander growing side by side?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?? apocalypse!
smile_n_32.gif
 MUWAHAHAHAHA!!!

cant argure with success  
smile_n_32.gif

its just one of thoes things that separates you from the others that make you feel good in your own way and make other people... well you know!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]N. hamata isn't the tempramental monster it's supposed to be. It certainly can't take hot conditions, but lives happily in intermediate/highland conditions, in my experience. It's just that they cost so darn much that it's scary to grow.

i gotta try that sometime.

Capslock hit it on the head.
Everything I read about N. hamata made it sound like it would never grow outside a very controlled grow chamber with high humidity and cool night time drops.
As you can see from the pictures it's doing great as a windowsill plant. Again it's been there a year and a half. It must be happy as it pitchers well for me and has 2 basal shoots that just formed a few weeks ago.
I took a gamble when I bought the plant. I already had it in my head, the plant would adjust, or die.

You can tell growing seasons when growing the highland and lowlander together. The lowlander really takes off during the summer, and the highlander slows down and vise versa in the winter.

LLeopardGGecko,
When I pot my neps in the coconut liners, I use about a 1/2" of dried LFS before adding in my other soil ingredients. That way it helps to hold any excess water from coming out the bottom and onto the floor. I do water too much from time to time. I always hold a few paper towels so I can try to soak up the excess if necessary.

i wonder if this would work for the hairy hamata, not that im gonna get one but would be nice to find out if it would grow like the one you have. not much difference except for the hair, right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Jan. 26 2006,3:38)]N. hamata isn't the tempramental monster it's supposed to be. It certainly can't take hot conditions, but lives happily in intermediate/highland conditions, in my experience. It's just that they cost so darn much that it's scary to grow.

Capslock
Those are encouraging words. I wouldn't be able to provide N. hamata with much in the way of special growing conditions, so hopefully if I ever obtain one it'll grow well for me.

elgecko, what are your growing conditions during the different seasons? I have lowlands and intermediates growing well for me and am venturing into highlands. My humidity is above 60% all the time. But temperturatures are in the high 70s to 80s.

Cindy,

Winter humidity: 30 - 50% (lower humidity in the day. Furnace does not run much, sun shines in the room where I grow the plants. I have a humidifier on my furnace set to around 45%)

Winter / Fall temps: I keep the house cool. Heat set to around 63 degrees. (humidified air feels warmer then dry air) During the day it can hit mid 70's with the sun shinning in the room where I grow the hamata. Nights can drop to low 60's.

Spring / Summer / Fall humidity: 40 - high 80%. (Windows open and such)

Spring / Summer temps: I would say low 70's to mid 80's. (I usually have the A/C set around 74)

Back