Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mature pitcher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Jan. 21 2006,10:35)]Hi peanuts1gang, looks like you have a really healthy strong plant there. It is young, but from the looks of the new growth you should have much larger pitchers and leaves very soon...very nice plant so far. Feed as much as you can without browning the pitchers. I just fed my plants handfuls of crickets and no apparent browning yet; I really cram the pitchers as full as I can (see my avatar? this plant eats about 50 crickets per feeding!).
    That's insane! I want to be able to feed one of my Neps 50 crickets at a time [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 22 2006,11:39)]
    Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Jan. 21 2006,10:35)]Hi peanuts1gang, looks like you have a really healthy strong plant there. It is young, but from the looks of the new growth you should have much larger pitchers and leaves very soon...very nice plant so far. Feed as much as you can without browning the pitchers. I just fed my plants handfuls of crickets and no apparent browning yet; I really cram the pitchers as full as I can (see my avatar? this plant eats about 50 crickets per feeding!).
    That's insane! I want to be able to feed one of my Neps 50 crickets at a time [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]
    I truly believe this plant's size is a result of the amount of food I give it (that is one plant you see):

Ludwig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just amazing Ludwig. It's a dang jungle in there!

Do you have to carry a gun with you when you water your plants? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I have never posted this before for fear of offending someone, but here is my secret to these huge plants:frozen mice sold in pet stores (sold to feed snakes, etc.) are humanely terminated before you buy them. These large plants are fed frozen mice and baby mice (called 'pinkies') and this is why they are so large, I believe. I do not feed mice with every feeding as you sometimes will kill a pitcher but at least twice a year during heavy growth. I hope this helps you grow the BEST Nepenthes you possibly can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (peanuts1gang @ Jan. 21 2006,9:34)]i have this N. rafflesiana. it has 2 pitchers, one just opened. i was wondering when it is ok to feed the pitchers?

upper pitcher

lower pitcher (just opened up)
    Very nice looking N.rafflesiana. If I were you, though, I would raise it out of the water as most neps dislike being in standing water.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, interesting. I used to get 'pinkies' for my leopard gecko Godzilla. I never knew they sold frozen ones. I'm willing to try them!

I don't think any of my plants are big enough (yet) for mice. How big are your pitchers before you start giving them mice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Very nice looking N.rafflesiana. If I were you, though, I would raise it out of the water as most neps dislike being in standing water.
    dewy
    All of my Neps stand in water and they grow just fine. I think the key is to let the water dry up between waterings so it's not CONSTANTLY sitting in water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 23 2006,12:46)]Ah, interesting. I used to get 'pinkies' for my leopard gecko Godzilla. I never knew they sold frozen ones. I'm willing to try them!

I don't think any of my plants are big enough (yet) for mice. How big are your pitchers before you start giving them mice?
    As soon as they can fit in the pitcher. Be careful that the plant is in optimal health when you do this and you should not get pitcher rot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast