What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mature pitcher

i have this N. rafflesiana. it has 2 pitchers, one just opened. i was wondering when it is ok to feed the pitchers?

upper pitcher
IMG_1059.jpg

lower pitcher (just opened up)
lowerpitcher1.jpg

now

well i am thinking about getting dried bloodworms and putting it into the pitcher with tweezers. will this work, or what should i do?

That'll work. I personally use crickets, goldfish pellets and milk for my tropical pitcher plants. They REALLY take off when I give them milk.

Milk, it does a Nep good
smile_n_32.gif

I've used whole milk in the past. One drop, undiluted, in one or two pitchers. And as LLeopardGGecko says, it works great!

i heard people use this milk technique in sundews as well???

Feed and stop talking! ;)
What are you waiting for? Hurry!
smile.gif

Mr_Aga

I'm not so sure about milk being used on sundews. I myself have used it for Neps, but have simply never foudn the desire to try it out on a sundew as they catch things anyway. Somehow a bunch of fruitflied got established in a pot of Sarracenia seedlings, my plants have been munching and munching and munching; great for sundews and small Sarracenia.

Hi peanuts1gang, looks like you have a really healthy strong plant there.  It is young, but from the looks of the new growth you should have much larger pitchers and leaves very soon...very nice plant so far.  Feed as much as you can without browning the pitchers.  I just fed my plants handfuls of crickets and no apparent browning yet; I really cram the pitchers as full as I can (see my avatar? this plant eats about 50 crickets per feeding!).

i feeded mine through a needle type thing. how would you brown the pitcher?

I guess either by overfeeding it or feeding it something thats bad for it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peanuts1gang @ Jan. 22 2006,7:19)]i feeded mine through a needle type thing. how would you brown the pitcher?
The more vigorous and healthy a plant, the more food it can accept in its pitchers without browning. If your plant is not in optimal health, too much food will quickly rot a pitcher away.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Jan. 21 2006,10:35)]Hi peanuts1gang, looks like you have a really healthy strong plant there.  It is young, but from the looks of the new growth you should have much larger pitchers and leaves very soon...very nice plant so far.  Feed as much as you can without browning the pitchers.  I just fed my plants handfuls of crickets and no apparent browning yet; I really cram the pitchers as full as I can (see my avatar? this plant eats about 50 crickets per feeding!).
That's insane! I want to be able to feed one of my Neps 50 crickets at a time
smilie4.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 22 2006,11:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Jan. 21 2006,10:35)]Hi peanuts1gang, looks like you have a really healthy strong plant there.  It is young, but from the looks of the new growth you should have much larger pitchers and leaves very soon...very nice plant so far.  Feed as much as you can without browning the pitchers.  I just fed my plants handfuls of crickets and no apparent browning yet; I really cram the pitchers as full as I can (see my avatar? this plant eats about 50 crickets per feeding!).
That's insane! I want to be able to feed one of my Neps 50 crickets at a time  
smilie4.gif
I truly believe this plant's size is a result of the amount of food I give it (that is one plant you see):

Ludwig
Nepenthes_thorelii_x_truncata6_ezg_5.jpg

That's just amazing Ludwig. It's a dang jungle in there!

Do you have to carry a gun with you when you water your plants?
smile_m_32.gif

OK, I have never posted this before for fear of offending someone, but here is my secret to these huge plants:frozen mice sold in pet stores (sold to feed snakes, etc.) are humanely terminated before you buy them.  These large plants are fed frozen mice and baby mice (called 'pinkies') and this is why they are so large, I believe.  I do not feed mice with every feeding as you sometimes will kill a pitcher but at least twice a year during heavy growth.  I hope this helps you grow the BEST Nepenthes you possibly can.

Back