Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Nep has outgrown its pot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today when I was giving my Nep a new water tray, I noticed that the roots were coming out of the bottom of the pot. Naturally, I decided it was time for a repotting. The roots really weren't my only indication. This plant (or plants, since there's about four of them in this little pot) has been crowded for months now. This little colony came from Home Depot about 6 months ago, so I feel like a proud father [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Seeing as it's from Home Depot, I also have never known what species this is. If anyone could help identify it, I would greatly appreciate it.

My main concern right now is that the plant is so crowded in the pot, I'm not even sure how I'm going to get it out of there without hurting it. What should I do?

Some pictures:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pull all of them out and shake them off in some water to get the soil off then take them apart
    PS what ping is that in your first photo?
    Glider
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 22 2006,8:23)]Seeing as it's from Home Depot, I also have never known what species this is. If anyone could help identify it, I would greatly appreciate it.
    If that's the same maxima we got from Home Depot, it will get very huge and you may not be able to kill it no matter what you do! I also got a Nepehthes x coccinea from Home Depot once, and it did very well in the kitchen with no climate control, just lots of light. You may just want to take cuttings from your plant and just leave one growing point on the main plant; this is what I would do.
    Ludwig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Jan. 21 2006,10:02)]pull all of them out and shake them off in some water to get the soil off then take them apart
    PS what ping is that in your first photo?
    Glider
    Thanks for the info. The Ping in the first photo is a hybrid I got from Home Depot a while back. It's a great little plant that has split into three plants since I got it. I'll try to post a picture tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Jan. 21 2006,10:27)]
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Jan. 22 2006,8:23)]Seeing as it's from Home Depot, I also have never known what species this is. If anyone could help identify it, I would greatly appreciate it.
    If that's the same maxima we got from Home Depot, it will get very huge and you may not be able to kill it no matter what you do! I also got a Nepehthes x coccinea from Home Depot once, and it did very well in the kitchen with no climate control, just lots of light. You may just want to take cuttings from your plant and just leave one growing point on the main plant; this is what I would do.
    Ludwig
    This isn't the same one that you had in your other post Ludwig. This is actually a different one that I got from Home Depot...I like to rescue a lot! Perhaps it's that N. coccinea you mentioned. Would you mind posting a picture of it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't really need to separate it... you could squeeze the pot back and forth a few times until it came loose, and then pot the whole mass into something new.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ Jan. 21 2006,10:37)]You don't really need to separate it... you could squeeze the pot back and forth a few times until it came loose, and then pot the whole mass into something new.
    That sounds like a good idea. I might just do that. Will that hurt the roots at all?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it... less than any other method anyway. The plant probably wouldn't notice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast