What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever topped off a rajah?

The jungle looks great for a while but when the vines become "woody" halfway down and leaves brown and shriveled it's a lot less cool than it was! I got to the point I couldn't stand looking at my tanks anymore. About year is about all I can let my charges go before needing to prune to keep things somewhat orderly. I had lazily let them go for about 2 years without pruning, maintenence or moving them and that's too long. I couldn't actually take plants out to prune them, On many of them I just had to reach in and start cutting and follow the vines down to the pots. Here's a tip for all you potential jungle owners, use a colored twist tie while doing the above procedure to keep track of what plants you're working on - Especially with those plants with generic leaf shapes! A few sad losses were discovered as some tiny TC plantlets simply got lost in the jungle , got no proper air circulation and succumbed to fungus without my ever noticing untilI did my maintence and found them shriveled and blackened. I'm ashamed to say which ones...

The rajah is in a 12" square net pot. I need to line up a helper to repot it I don't want another "My six foot diameter bical is dead from repotting!" incident by trying to do it myself.

I've taken cuttings from sizeable N. rajahs before. They are not too difficult to root, assuming that appropriate conditions are provided. However, I would wait until a well-established basal is present....

Back