What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was bored

First off, I apologise for the sloppy quality of the pics.

Nepenthes rajah. Whoever said it was a fussy, slow grower? I received this plant in September as a 5" "monster". Much credit goes to Simon Lumb who sent me such a healthy plant from Borneo Exotics.
After a month of growth I knew it wasn't the possibility of the plant keeling over that worried me, but its habit and vigour:
nrajah5pd.jpg

A proud beast it is. It's the first time I've wanted a plant to take it easy and slow down.
nrajahpitcher8mx.jpg

Small, but perfectly coloured:
naristopitcher4xc.jpg

naristopitcher20od.jpg

Cheers
Amori

Sweet pics! You must have a great highland setup with plenty of light. Those plants look fantastic.

That is some really great growth you are getting with your N. rajah. The aristo looks cute. It's like a little pinto bean with a lid.

Brian

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's like a little pinto bean with a lid.
I must diagree whole heartedly! They do NOT explode when you hit them from behind!
smile_n_32.gif

Great looking plants!  You are obviously giving those highlanders what they need to flourish. Thanks for sharing.
KPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (killerplantsguy @ Jan. 27 2006,10:01)]You are obviously giving those highlanders what they need to flourish.
just wondering if that was the only pitcher that your rajah has when you got it or has the next leaf after that pitcherd as well. what about the other newer leaves? have they pitcherd, inflating, or aborted? i know that rajah, although doesnt pitcher still has good growth...

Nice plants with good colour, esp. the aristo.
smile.gif

Regarding light, I'm of the 'too much is better than not enough' school of thought myself too......
Cheers,
T.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Jan. 27 2006,6:08)]just wondering if that was the only pitcher that your rajah has when you got it or has the next leaf after that pitcherd as well. what about the other newer leaves? have they pitcherd, inflating, or aborted? i know that rajah, although doesnt pitcher still has good growth...
To answer your question, all the original pitchers (2) are already long gone: they expired about 2 weeks after feeding...
...I counted the number of leaves it has made since its arrival: the newest open leaf being the 5th. So that's 5 new leaves, the currently unfurling one being the 6th, since September. Also, every leaf has produced a pitcher, each one getting bigger than the predecessor. Currently it has 3 fully functional pitchers. I've never had trouble growing this species, and have even received a minor beating in the listserv when I expressed this way back when I was still a wee Nep grower.

Cheers,and thanks for the kind words
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tonyc @ Jan. 27 2006,8:03)]Nice plants with good colour, esp. the aristo.
smile.gif

Regarding light, I'm of the 'too much is better than not enough' school of thought myself too......
Cheers,
T.
Same here - 400W HPS.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I was bored, So sue me

You asked for it: you've got a Subpoena on it's way.
smile_n_32.gif
Anyway, nice plants! I recently (um like 2 hours ago
smile_n_32.gif
) discovered that the media that I had my N. rajah in SUCKED, so hopefully I'll start seeing growth somewhat like yours, soon! (The problem was that the roots couldn't expand because the media had compacted, I'd been getting new leaves, but they'd been somewhat decreasing in size rather than increasing...) Thanks for posting.
smile.gif

thats a very nice rajah, mine i think is about 7 or 8 inches across. if you dont mind me asking, do you take a pic from the side of your rajah please?

Nice stuff man! I can't wait to see all my Aristo cuttings making pitchers.

In good conditions our neps don't always grow as slow as the rumors state. I recall one guy saying it took 50 years or a rajah to get mature... total BS! If you have the best conditions they will perform! A pal of mine who has an orchid shop has rajahs 5+ years old and only 8" in diameter. No sense in that, other than a poorly produced clone or less than perfect conditions. Looks like you're doin fine, get bored and put up some more pics all I can see in my tanks are pitcherless leafless cuttings!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Jan. 28 2006,2:53)]thats a very nice rajah, mine i think is about 7 or 8 inches across. if you dont mind me asking, do you take a pic from the side of your rajah please?
Here ya go. I had to use flash as the sun had already fled the scene.

nrajah17ls.jpg

nrajah27au.jpg

nrajah39vc.jpg

nrajah48gp.jpg

Cheers
Amori

Wow
That is nice,mine has been a bit slow,it even survived -7 a while ago so im hoping its going to get a move on,i will show it a picture of yours so it gets the idea
smile_m_32.gif

Bye for now julian

Amori,
Great photos of well grown plants! Very impressed with the color on the rajah. Are they all showing that deep coloration? The live shag is pretty too.

Keep posting.:D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trent @ Jan. 29 2006,2:31)]Amori,
Great photos of well grown plants! Very impressed with the color on the rajah. Are they all showing that deep coloration? The live sphag is pretty too.

Keep posting.:D
Thank you Trent, that means alot coming from you
smile.gif

So far all the pitchers on the rajah have looked this way. In fact I have mikei and copelandii pitchers I may want to photograph as they're also very dark.

Thanks again
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Jan. 29 2006,9:07)]...copelandii pitchers I may want to photograph as they're also very dark.
please do so and if you can, can you post it on that copelandii thread?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ Jan. 29 2006,6:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Jan. 29 2006,9:07)]...copelandii pitchers I may want to photograph as they're also very dark.
please do so and if you can, can you post it on that copelandii thread?
Will do. I'll go take the pics now actually.

Cheers
Amori

Back