What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamata

Would high temps of 75F and low temps of 68F be suitable for N.hamata? Also, how high should hmidity be? Is 50% fine?
dewy

Dewy I grow my N. hamata in a climate controlled chamber which is set up thusly:

fresh air is continuously pushed into the terrarium through a dryer exhaust tube with a small 4" diameter computer fan. Before the fresh air enters the terrraium there is a humidistat controlled ultrasonic humidifier which moistens the incoming air to 75-85% humidity. Too low and you will NOT have pitchers.

DURING THE DAY: The temperature of incoming air is my household temps 70-80*F
AT NIGHT: the fan is placed in the window to pull cold air from outside in and drop the temps to 50-55*F most of the year, sometimes cooler depending upon how open the window is and how cold it is outside. In summer when night temps are 60-70*F I put the fan infront of my window air conditioner to suck the cool air in from there these temps are usually 55-60*F for July and August and my plants DO NOT like it and some of them don't pitcher with night temps that high. Keep your highlanders, brightly lit, cool and humid with a moving atmopshere and you'll be able to grow all of them.

In short, I wouldn't suggest it for the conditons you described.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Jan. 28 2006,9:15)]Too low and you will NOT have pitchers.
i dont know about that...  
smile_l_32.gif

read this

I agree, there's surely no harm in experimenting. I don't wish to discourage anyone from getting into these beautiful plants. I'm only trying to save the guy some heartache (and cash) by preventing him from jumping into something he can't give proper care to incase the experiment begins to go awry. What will you do if the window thing doesn't work and your plants are getting weaker and weaker? I think It's far more damaging to get his hopes up and blowng a bunch of money on plants which may die than tell them they will likely have success by giving them conditons which aproximate their wild conditions. A question to ask would be what other neps are growing in this area are they doing well?

Remember not all luck of the draw growing methods will work for everyone. In my house the only plants which will survive outside a terrarium are cati and aroids, believe me with a long time plant addiction such as mine I've tried (and killed) many things with my botanical experiments. My hardiest hybrid Nepenthes may survive but certainly do not grow and prosper as Elgeckos outside their chambers in the sliding glass window. I certainly applaud his efforts and wish I could do the same without all this equiptment!
smile.gif

outta topic but heres my set up outside. nothing but shade cloth:
nepentheshiglandsetup3gk.jpg

you should concider the proper conditions first but if you cant then you have no choice.  i dont have a hamata yet so i havent tried it. my other friend near by has one and it will do well.
plus you cant argue with success!

I was not going to reply to this thread and say yes your plant will grow in those conditions, or no it will not.

There are other variables which can help or hinder the plant. As Swords states, he tried plants outside the terrarium, and they just did not grow well for him. You will have to decide if it's a chance you are willing to take. And again as Swords mentioned, do you have a back up plan if the plant just does not adjust?

I guess that I'm very lucky.
I will also add from what I have witnessed with conditioning the plants to grow on the windowsill it takes around 3 months for them to settle in and start to pitcher for me.

When I got my N. hamata it had around 5 or 6 very nice pitchers on the plant. How disappointed I was that only after a few hours the pitchers were collapsing. Ina day or 2 all the pitchers dried up. I knew that this was possible as the plant is in a totally different environment to what it was used to, and much lower humidity. I did not panic. Around 2 1/2 to 3 months later the plant decided that it was accustomed to the new environment and started to pitcher.

Again is it a chance you want to take?
Do you have a back up plan?
And what might be more of the issue, can you even find a N. hamata available in the US?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Jan. 29 2006,11:11)]And what might be more of the issue, can you even find a N. hamata available in the US?
thats the only issue that im more concerned about now at the moment.  but ive been laid back about getting one or others that are in question.  ive learned that you can only push them so far and im not really willing to try one if my other friends didnt have success with them.  all the ones i have are for sure a success AFTER the state of readjusting.

The real trick to N. hamata in my experience is humidity and temperature. The only reason elgecko has has very good results with his N. hamata is due to more than 7factors of care given to a Nepenthes such as Light, Soil, Water, Fertilization/Feeding, Humidity, Air Circulation and Temperature. If you can provide at least those in moderately correct values you will be successful if you allow to the plants to adjust. Remember, people in different climate zones will also have different results than you. People in New York or Montana will have very different growth results in winter than people in Florida or California.

Back