Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My patience with a truncata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LLeopardGGecko:truncata i have heard(since i dont grow one...not enough room!) arnt picky about temps as long as they are high like above 70-75*. humidity should be high as always.
    Everyone else: how fast is fast on a truncata? my ventrata is growing super super fast puttin out a new leaf about every three weeks. is it about that speed? i also heard they get wide not tall and for that reason i was thinking about moving all non neps from my large 18x18x24 terrarium(its not that large considering the terrariums you all have [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] ) into a smaller 10 gallon one.
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My highland truncata has a new leaf about every 4-6 weeks. Compared to when I first got it, its vine is about 4" longer, but its span is about 20" wider.

So at maybe 2-3 years old, it wouldn't fit in that terrarium...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right now my highland truncata is about 8-9" in diameter so cant wait till it gets huge along with its pitchers. i heard that the truncata highland like higher light levels that the lowland, is this true?
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well even though i have the absolute perfect conditions for a highland truncata(65* night 70* day humidity always above 75%) im still going with the lowlander and put more lighting up.
    these are the reasons why:
    1. i could buy 5 lowlands for one highlander
    2. if it dies early(it happens) i dont know how i could get my money back up from what i basically lost.
    3. highlanders get alot bigger ive heard
    4.and highlanders grow slower ive heard
    overall until i get my own greenhouse(there goes first car money) there is no way i could grow this thing. then again i may not even buy a truncata lowland if im gonna turn the greenhouse into a highland one. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Feb. 03 2006,7:12)]4.and highlanders grow slower ive heard
    not for me! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

I currently grow both forms of truncata. The lowland it only recently purchased (4 months ago??). At any rate, they're not really fast or slow. I think the lowland form grows a bit faster, but it's a slightly larger plant, too....so that could be why.

the one thing I've noticed about truncs is that while leaves may come out in 6 weeks, it can take that long again for the pitchers to inflate....For some reason they just take a long time to open.

I agree with Steve about having a loose soil mix, too. The truncata I killed several years ago was doing very well until the soil compacted. Live & learn!

Edit:

Almost forgot!

EG, your experience with the trunc not growing for a whole year is not really that surprising - I've had neps of all kinds go into prolonged periods of no growth after some sort of shock - frost bite, getting badly dropped, scale infection, whatever.

17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello guys! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

So, at the end, this whole year of waiting can be normal... I see...

Since the last pic i posted here, the pitcher has been getting bigger and bigger... So i guess now my plant will grow faster.

This has been the only loooooong experience of waitng i have had with any of my Nep's. All my other plants grow very fast, even in winter when thy tend to be slower.

Cheers,
    Jorge Joel...
    Emilia's Garden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey man good luck on it and i hope to see future pics of the trncata...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast