What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My patience with a truncata.

Hi Jorge, you seem familiar to me. Either we traded plants, or I bought some from you before. Truncata can be a slow grower when young. they don't really pick up speed until they get a little bigger. One thing to watch out for is having too dense of a soil medium. I grew one "dwarf" truncata for years before giving it a happier home.

<span style='color:Teal'>Hello Srduggins! Maybe we have traded plants before or, as you say, maybe you have purchased something in the past in my store.
smile.gif

Thank you very much for your advices... I will wait this Spring to see if my plant will develope faster and bigger, if that does not happen... i will go for the wrong soil theory and will change the soil...

All i hope is that this Srping can bring al ot of growth to my truncata...
smile.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

mine should be getting on the fast track in warmer weather too!

I still haven't learned to NOT come into a thread discussing a CP that I don't currently grow.

Now I want a N. truncata
smile_h_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

I really like that red fuzz they have. I do think I could provide some nice conditions for a N. truncata if I ever got one. We'll see....

LLeopardGGecko:truncata i have heard(since i dont grow one...not enough room!) arnt picky about temps as long as they are high like above 70-75*. humidity should be high as always.
Everyone else: how fast is fast on a truncata? my ventrata is growing super super fast puttin out a new leaf about every three weeks. is it about that speed? i also heard they get wide not tall and for that reason i was thinking about moving all non neps from my large 18x18x24 terrarium(its not that large considering the terrariums you all have
smile_n_32.gif
) into a smaller 10 gallon one.

My highland truncata has a new leaf about every 4-6 weeks. Compared to when I first got it, its vine is about 4" longer, but its span is about 20" wider.

So at maybe 2-3 years old, it wouldn't fit in that terrarium...

right now my highland truncata is about 8-9" in diameter so cant wait till it gets huge along with its pitchers. i heard that the truncata highland like higher light levels that the lowland, is this true?

well even though i have the absolute perfect conditions for a highland truncata(65* night 70* day humidity always above 75%) im still going with the lowlander and put more lighting up.
these are the reasons why:
1. i could buy 5 lowlands for one highlander
2. if it dies early(it happens) i dont know how i could get my money back up from what i basically lost.
3. highlanders get alot bigger ive heard
4.and highlanders grow slower ive heard
overall until i get my own greenhouse(there goes first car money) there is no way i could grow this thing. then again i may not even buy a truncata lowland if im gonna turn the greenhouse into a highland one.
smile_m_32.gif

Hi Guys,

I currently grow both forms of truncata.  The lowland it only recently purchased (4 months ago??).  At any rate, they're not really fast or slow.  I think the lowland form grows a bit faster, but it's a slightly larger plant, too....so that could be why.

the one thing I've noticed about truncs is that while leaves may come out in 6 weeks, it can take that long again for the pitchers to inflate....For some reason they just take a long time to open.

I agree with Steve about having a loose soil mix, too.  The truncata I killed several years ago was doing very well until the soil compacted.  Live & learn!

Edit:

Almost forgot!

EG, your experience with the trunc not growing for a whole year is not really that surprising - I've had neps of all kinds go into prolonged periods of no growth after some sort of shock - frost bite, getting badly dropped, scale infection, whatever.

<span style='color:Teal'>Hello guys!
smile.gif

So, at the end, this whole year of waiting can be normal... I see...

Since the last pic i posted here, the pitcher has been getting bigger and bigger... So i guess now my plant will grow faster.

This has been the only loooooong experience of waitng i have had with any of my Nep's. All my other plants grow very fast, even in winter when thy tend to be slower.

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

hey man good luck on it and i hope to see future pics of the trncata...

<span style='color:Teal'> Thanx
smile.gif

Believe me, i will post new pics in the future to show the develop of my plant
smile.gif

Cheers,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden  </span>

Back