What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Variegated nepenthes

Look what I found in my basement! One of my little lowii plants has put out three variegated leaves. This one is from Mt Trusmadi.

VarlowiiTrus.jpg

Kewl! When I cut down my highland jungle chanber I had forgot that I'd bought boughten a  N. spectabilis (Bandahara giant form) from Wistuba a couple years back and when I found it again I see it's vareigated! It's a vine now so I have a few cuttings rooting, we'll see if the vareigation holds true on these cuttings. I hope so, it's so wild looking with white green and red striped leaves!

PS, does anyone know if this freak vareigation happens because of a hiccup in cloning or will all clones have this? I ask because I would imagine nurseries would advertise this if all the clones of that # would be doing it.

Josh,
You have to post a pic.  The leaves have white & red variegation?  Awesome!

Walter,
To quote an Agristarts sales rep. as he noticed our variegated tc rafflesiana from one of their plug trays "Hold on to that guy."
A common fault of variegated plants is they tend to be slow and weak.  Do you find that to be true with your lowii?
One variegated Nep that is sure to grow like a weed is our variegated ventrata.
N.%20ventrata%20variegated%20%2010-23-05.JPG

Volker at http://pitcherplants.proboards34.com explained:
"These plants are called Chimeras having more than one genotype in the same plant. The most popular Chimera is leaf variegation, but there are also other examples like the thorn-less berries and so on.
Chimeras happen by natural mutation, or induced by radiation, or chemicals. Very popular to happen in-vitro.
For the variegation the plant produces normal Chlorophyll containing cells and mutated ones without.
A Chimera can be vegetatively propagated, while keeping the appearance. They are very common for certain commercial ornamental plants - way more than their 'healthy' natural counterparts.
Volker "

<span style='color:Teal'>But, is it possible to find these variegated Nep's in sale?

I would die for one of these
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden</span>

Back