What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello,
firstly, I know this has been discussed many many times already. I have also read many discussions surrounding this area. but I just wish to compile some of what we knwo and hopefully experienced growers can give their useful inputs also.
When I mentioned pitcher size I think it is better to state clearly being either the max size of pitcher on mature plant, or the pitcher size compared to the leaf length on immature plants.

Here is what we know induces large pitchers:
-High Humidity
-High Light
-Maturity
-Support (bulky lowers like rajah)

My opinions:

High humidity is understood

Support is also not really arguable but not 100% necessary for all species

But Maturity is tricky. In Clarke's book, he mentioned that sumatrana produces gigantic lowers on basals from mature plants which are slightly different in appearance as compared to those produced on immature rossettes (as well as nearly twice the size.) I want to find out more about this basal thing and also to which species it applies to. (we know that rajah, truncata and merriliana can produce their largest lowers on their first (rossette) growing tip, but what about rafflesiana giant, bicalcarata, etc? The measurements taken on the field of giant pitchers may not have been from this first growing tip!
It is also understood that, on immature plants, leaf span is constantly increasing and with each new, larger leaf, larger pitchers are produced...but should pitcher:leaf size ratio be dropping, or increasing as these plants grow?
And when the leafs reach their maximum spread, there is a short interface where leaf span stops increasing but plant continues producing lowers, (eg raff) should the pitchers continue to increase in size with these leaves or should the ratio remain the same...i.e. the theory (or myth) of the last 'monster' pitchers before switching to uppers?

Lastly, light intensity. How large is the effect of light intensity on pitcher size? For me I dont actually see the difference regarding my plants. And I have heard many times people saying that higher light gives larger pitchers, but I have seen rather well-sized pitchers on plants grown in bright shade (not filtered sunlight, but shaded). Light definitely gives more colour to pitchers, but size?
And touching on the area of ampullaria, I know they dont increase in size with light, so what is the main factor affecting pitcher size for this plant?

I have too little experience on my part to draw any conclusions or pass any judgement, but I hope to gain knowledge on this topic from those who have experimented or understand from experience. Please feel free to correct me and please do not hesitate to raise points!

Thank you!
Lam

Sorry, I forgot about temps. but can we not discuss this for the mean time since it would drag in the highland- and lowland- and intermediate- related debate confusions too... ...
smile_l_32.gif

thanks

Back