What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bitten by the Nep bug

Greetings,

I received two hybrids back in October, and they are now producing new pitchers.  I took a couple photos showing the first new pitchers to form.  The photos aren't the best quality.

N. lowii x truncata
c87d0f29.jpg

N. maxima x veitchii
maxveit.jpg

Brian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ Jan. 30 2006,11:21)]
The photos aren't the best quality.

Brian
maybe not but the plants are...

Yeah, both of those look like winners. The maxima x veitchii peristome is crazy!

Capslock

Leopardgecko,

I received the plants from Tony at exoticplantsplus.com.

The max x veitchii is great. The peristome is lime green at first, and then turns blood red in about a week. The next pitcher on the plant should be even larger.

Don't neglect the great hybrids of the past!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Brian_W @ Jan. 30 2006,1:34)]Leopardgecko,

I received the plants from Tony at exoticplantsplus.com.  

The max x veitchii is great.  The peristome is lime green at first, and then turns blood red in about a week.  The next pitcher on the plant should be even larger.  

Don't neglect the great hybrids of the past!
Thanks for the info. I've heard great things about that place.

what conditions do you keep the max x vet in brian??

glider,

I grow max x veit plant under intermediate conditions.  The temps vary depending on the season, but the daytime high is usually around 75-80F and the lows around 63-70F.  I really think this hybrid can adapt to a lot of different conditions.  The main requirement is to have plenty of room!  My plant is around 1.5ft diameter with pitchers around 10-12".

Brian

Awesome!

I have the exact same conditions (goes off and orders neps)

Here are some hybrids you should try,
Exoticplantsplus has them in stock now

N. truncata x talangensis
N. truncata x sibuyanensis

How much humidity are you growing your plants in?
Both seem like good, hardy candidates for a windowsill

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How much humidity are you growing your plants in?
Both seem like good, hardy candidates for a windowsill

I use a humidifier hooked up to a humidistat to control humidity.  When I first started growing Neps, I had the humidity set at 80%.  Now I have slowly reduced the humidity down to 70%.  The plants grow great.  I'm going to try to lower it a bit more (60-65%).

They might be good candidates for some windowsills, but not mine!  Average humidity around here is 10%!

I would try and get lowii x truncata while the gettin's good
smile_m_32.gif

Man! That lowii x truncata is awesome!

You may want to check out truncata x ventricosa - also a very cool truncata hybrid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Feb. 02 2006,1:52)]You may want to check out truncata x ventricosa - also a very cool truncata hybrid.
man! do you really wanna push me into getting one...
smile_l_32.gif

All the truncata hybrids are great.  I just don't have room for them!

My wish list:
N x Predator
N truncata x stenophylla
N truncata x aristo
N. truncata x veitchii
N. truncata x maxima
N. truncata x this
N. truncata x that

Brian

Back