User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: N. bical

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got my N. bical today and i have a question. Is it normal for a N. bical to have leaves with over 6" and pitchers with only about 1" in lenght? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    We can go for days without food, but we can't pass 5 minutes without air. REMEMBER TO BREATH!!!

Trouble breathing? Let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Bical is a wonderful species which never ceases to thrill my visitors with it's nectar dripping fangs.

While the plant is among the largest of Neps with leaves roughly 36-40" leaf and but pitchers only 8-10" according to books and my experience with it.

With strong light, high humidity and nice hot temps, (days 80-95*F and nights 70*F+) and lots of feeding of insects you can get a large plant relatively quickly. I grew a specimen of N. bical from 12" diameter and 2" pitchers when it arrived to six feet within about 12-18 months under 400 W of metal halide lighting.

Sadly I killed it summer of 2004 by attempting to transplant the 5 gallon pail monstrosity by myself. My younger one has gone from about 3" diameter to 18" in about a year, and I'll of course get help on transplanting this time when he outgrows this container in another year!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a N. bical that's still recovering from shipping shock. Still doesn't have any pitchers [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords,
    Thnx for congrats me. Wat u said does concerned me.

"Sadly I killed it summer of 2004 by attempting to transplant the 5 gallon pail monstrosity by myself. My younger one has gone from about 3" diameter to 18" in about a year, and I'll of course get help on transplanting this time when he outgrows this container in another year"

Because I just repotted mine with 100% pure LSF due to the media sent to me was too dried out and I does not like it. And could u explain a bit more on how transplanting the plant by yourself got it killed? I am very interested to learn wat went wrong so i won't make the same mistake. Thnx
    We can go for days without food, but we can't pass 5 minutes without air. REMEMBER TO BREATH!!!

Trouble breathing? Let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about transplanting your baby bical, I just repotted mine from a 6" container to a 14" tub it'll be fine. Didn't mean to worry ya.

What I mean on killing the big one is that it was simly too large for me to have tried to do myself. I didn't have anyone to assist me in the procedure of transplanting a six foot diameter plant and 25 lbs of potting mix. It was just too brutal of an operation by trying to wrestle with it myself and finding out I had to cut my pot off to get the plant out because the roots had grown a carpet underneath it into the water tray the pot sat in.
    I'm still not 100% sure if transplanting is exactly what killed it but it died only a couple weeks or a month after repotting so that's what I'm blaming it on. It was perfect the rest of the time. I still kick myself for not just reducing it to cuttings but I wanted to try and flower it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (swords @ Feb. 01 2006,12:26)]Don't worry about transplanting your baby bical, I just repotted mine from a 6" container to a 14" tub it'll be fine. Didn't mean to worry ya.

What I mean on killing the big one is that it was simly too large for me to have tried to do myself. I didn't have anyone to assist me in the procedure of transplanting a six foot diameter plant and 25 lbs of potting mix. It was just too brutal of an operation by trying to wrestle with it myself and finding out I had to cut my pot off to get the plant out because the roots had grown a carpet underneath it into the water tray the pot sat in.
    I'm still not 100% sure if transplanting is exactly what killed it but it died only a couple weeks or a month after repotting so that's what I'm blaming it on. It was perfect the rest of the time. I still kick myself for not just reducing it to cuttings but I wanted to try and flower it....
    Yes, cuttings that you could have given to me [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Naw, I'm just joking! I'm very sad to hear about your N. bicalcarata [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] Are you growing another one?