Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Healthy Roots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you just keep them in good light,hot and humid conditions they will grow really really quick.
    A friend of mine growed his from 8'' to 2' in just half a year.
    Need all the experience I can get...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TyFone @ Feb. 04 2006,12:43)]If you just keep them in good light,hot and humid conditions they will grow really really quick.
    A friend of mine growed his from 8'' to 2' in just half a year.
    Would you happen to know the lowest temperature and lowest humidity you can grow N. bicalcarata at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The low temp and low humidity tolerance will vary from clone to clone. Steve Stewart was breeding a bical that could tolerate more cold condtions. It depends on the individual situation.
    For us, the lows aren't the problem. We have observed bicals exposed to temps in the upper 40's F for a few hours, with no problems at all. As long as the day time temps are in the 80's or 90's F, and humidity is constant, the bicals are happy.
    Keep your bical sheltered and try to avoid any dry and cold air movement. In combination with warm day temps and high humidity, the cold temps aren't as much of an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Trent. But what's considered "high humidity"? The terrarium in which I keep my N. bical is usually in the 80s during the day as far as temperature is concerned, but the humidity is usually no higher than 50-55 percent. Would you think this is enough for a N. bical to thrive?

Like I mentioned previously, I think my plant is still recovering from shipping shock (was pretty dislodged from its soil when I received it) but I want to make sure I'm giving it favorable conditions for when it wakes up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideal humidity is above 70%, at least 60% during the hottest part of the day.
    Misting under the leaves really helps them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, then I wonder if there's any easy way to raise the humidity in my tank...Maybe placing a container of water in the corner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered using an ultrasonic humidifier?

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Trent,

This might be a dumb question but will your monster bical every level out in terms of growth? In otherwords, what is the largest pot you estimate you could plant it in such that there would be no significant growth? I ask because I plan on constructing a small 8' x 8' greenhouse and it sounds like a bical may be a bit large for it, at least your bical would be. Also, growers mention that bicals are sensitive to changes in humidity. How big a change is too big. Would a bical suffer if the humidity was 80% at night and 60% during the day.

Chris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast