What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Nep greenhouse

where did you get the polycarbonate? i cant seem to find any (surprising mom with her own greenhouse although ill probably use it more
smile_n_32.gif
)

Home Depot...be ready to go broke bying it though!

I tjust goes to show what you can do with a bit of imagination. You don't need a pre-fab greenhouse, it's amazing the materials that you can use. I made mine from browsing the hardware store (such a hard thing to do ...
smile_n_32.gif
) and finding suitable materials. It can be done quite cheaply. And you can do it to fit almost any space.

The stuff HomeDepot/Lowes carries is single thickness and looks like a wavy sheet. If you want the twin wall 8mm stuff that looks like corrugated cardboard you will have to go to a greenhouse supply place. Polycarbonate is big big bucks.

It would be useful if somebody could sticky a topic about one of these things...or at least about setting it up. Kinda like the 'how-to-make-a-grow-shelf' one.

I didn't use twin wall because I didn't think my weather conditions here in San Diego really required it.  Our winter lows are perfect for highlanders; our biggest challenge is keeping the greenhouse cooled in summertime.  

I also chose Home Depot's line of corrugated, single-thickness poly because of how easy they make it to install: all fittings and flashings are provided (like vertical and horizontal seals).  But I don't think I chose the cheapest route however, probably just the easiest.  The materials I used have a lifetime guarantee against discoloring from the sun, though, so this makes it easier to justify.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 24 2006,1:09)]It would be useful if somebody could sticky a topic about one of these things...or at least about setting it up. Kinda like the 'how-to-make-a-grow-shelf' one.
Mr. Wong, here is the home page of the materials I used; they have some very inspiring pictures of design ideas throughout their website.  If you need any advice from me, please ask.

polycarbonate panels

how to install (detailed diagrams)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 24 2006,1:09)]It would be useful if somebody could sticky a topic about one of these things...or at least about setting it up. Kinda like the 'how-to-make-a-grow-shelf' one.
This gave me an idea: as soon as I finish installing my large fogger I will post a detailed pictoral of building a greenhouse specifically designed for Nepenthes.....
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ludwig777 @ Mar. 24 2006,11:28)]
[b said:
Mr. Wong, here is the home page of the materials I used; they have some very inspiring pictures of design ideas throughout their website. If you need any advice from me, please ask.

polycarbonate panels

how to install (detailed diagrams)
Thanks. Have bookmarked the page. I plan on building a greenhouse for Neps someday, so just now I am gathering information about how to go about doing it.

I know your problem. To keep a highlander merely alive in singapore you would need some expensive equipment. And whats more, singapore doesn't have winters.
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ April 11 2006,1:47)]I know your problem. To keep a highlander merely alive in singapore you would need some expensive equipment.
Setting up the greenhouse is a lot of work and money, but once done, you can rest easy knowing your plants will survive without much effort for extended periods of time.  I have a very busy schedule and knowing that I can be absent for days at a time from my plants and that they will not even notice, is worth all the effort put into it.

My latest (and hopefully LAST) phase of building was hanging an industrial fogger.  It has a 1 HP engine and a dispirsion range of 20 feet.  Since it was designed to use tap water from a garden hose, I had to rig a water source from my R/O reservoir.  I did this by drilling a hole in the 'bottom' of the reservoir and attaching 1/2" flex tubing to this hole.  At this point I attached a non-submersible (exposed to air) water pump.  The pump draws R/O water out of the basin and pumps it up to the fogger.  I put both the fogger and the pump on a timer so the pump is only operating when the fogger requires it.  This fogger produces a fine mist (like real fog) which hangs in the air.  There is a substantial amount of water feeding the fogger so everything in the greenhouse becomes damp immediately, and due to the strong force of air, evaporative cooling occurs directly on the plants themselves.  It has only been a short time since this has been in operation but I see strong new growth on many of my plants already.  I will post updates in the future as to progress.

p_fogger.jpg

I actually had to hang a redwood screen to shield powerful wind.  Works great for my setup.
Ludwig

Ludwig, this is the first private greenhouse I've seen that tastefully complements its surroundings while at the same time obeying the laws of practicality and efficiency. Fantastic job!!

Hans
PS: Of course, it's MUCH too small - but I'm sure you've discovered that already
smile.gif

Thank you for the comments!!! Yes, I am already thinking of how I am going to expand it, I am quickly running out of room.

Back