Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Nep greenhouse

Neps, Neps, Neps.........
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally decided to build another greenhouse for my Nepenthes and not make the same mistakes I made with my last greenhouse. For example, I made the last one too small! Secondly, I didn't make the best use of space; there was 'dead' space in places. Next, I am designing this one to have 2 chambers, one for lowland and one highland. Lastly, I am installing a high-tech security system this time!!! Can never be too careful.

This will be the lowland chamber (notice I made it extra tall to accomodate climbing plants, like my new N.x dyeriana!!!):

This will be the main, highland section (I obviously want to focus mostly on highlanders); I sunk it 2 feet below the ground level hoping to conserve cool air in the summer:

And here is an ariel veiw of the project...look at the lone post in the upper left corner without any roof attachments yet; this will be the last corner :

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, that's a great looking project! Makes me "green" with envy, since I would love to have a greenhouse for my neps. Nice job, and please keep us posted with more pics as the process continues.

-Jeremy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frame is finished, and starting to paint the frame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang Ludwig, that is so cool! I long for the day when I have my own place and the money to build a greenhouse. Someday...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 07 2006,2:18)]Dang Ludwig, that is so cool! I long for the day when I have my own place and the money to build a greenhouse. Someday...
    Yes, my current greenhouse is only 6 x 10 and just for the structure it cost me $700, then I bought a LP heater for about $500, all the irrigation supplies and pumps, and an R/O unit, brought it up to about $1800. This is definitely not a cheap hobby. My new GH will be about twice the square footage of my old one and this time I am making it extra TALL and plan to build teired shelving in it to accomodate more plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making some progress:

Full shot; left-hand tall part is my lowland chamber, sectioned off from the rest of the greenhouse; main doorway directly to the right of that:

Lowland chamber:

I like to make my own benches out of redwood lath; this way you can size and fit them any way you can imagine:

And another (notice here under the bench, the actual ground is dug pretty deep):

The tedious job of constructing the roof-frame to accomodate the corrugated polycarbonate panels; all measurements have to be precise and many small cuts are required to make air-tight:

The greenhouse is split-level, and I dug out the floor of the highland chamber so it is 2 feet below the ground. This will hopefully keep it cooler in the summer. I am also going to add another section in the highland side to extend out another 4 feet (right where the date-stamp is); more grow space.
    Ludwig

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking nice, cant wait to see it in person when its done! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    question will the highland include ultras as well?
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast