Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes mirabilis

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Thunderstorm and welcome to TerraForums! Is it possible that something toxic accidently gotten into the media?

Hmmm..... isn't there someone called Rainydays and other called Cloudydays on this forum? Are you into Meteorology?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. A friend of mine had the same identical problem. It seems to be reading him instead of you. He had a mirabilis echinostoma, tall as yours. Some days ago,3 or 4, the plant dried the leaves and the growing point started to rot. He did 5 cuttings as you did and, during the repotting, he saw that one root was really long, maybe 60cm.
    He found out that N. echinostoma does like to stand in water and that the plant growed that long root to find it. Someone said that it is true that echinostoma is the only nepenthes which likes to stand in water, but I can't still believe it....

these are some pictured of the plant and the repotting:

http://www.piantecarnivore.org/pics/...mirabilis1.jpg
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org/pics/...mirabilis2.jpg
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org/pics/...mirabilis3.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are your R/O filter cartridges up to date? If the water quality is not the issue and the soil never totally dries and no sudden humidity drops I would say a toxic soil condition probably occured. Perhaps it became too compacted and created noxious conditions. Do you use peat? My neps die in peat because of my conditions and watering schedule but they do wonderful is LFS and fine bark chips. I don't believe in the "mystery death" syndrome it happened for a reason you have to identify why so you can avoid it from ever happening again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. mirabilis' thin leaves and its need to be in standing water is related. The transpiration rate is high and thus its water uptake is high. I have N. mirabilis (not echinostoma) in humidity more than 50% but because the area is windy, I have to water it twice a day compared to once for the rest of the neps.
    Cindy

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So N. mirabilis can be water by tray method?
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yes
    I know nep mirabilis needs much water.I used the tray method, like a sarracenia.In nature it grows in swamps.of course, I used peat, perlite and bark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying that water was not the problem? We must think at something else...

Hot, humid Singapore....but unfortunately, in a flat 7 stories up, sunlight blocked by tall buildings.......
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So all thin leaf neps like viking and mirabillis can be grown with tray method? The root rotting/waterlogged theory do not apply to these? This is really interresting, if its true i can save a few minutes of watering time [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    A lady went into a grocery store and looked into the turket section. She needed a bigger one for her family, so she asks the stock boy: \"Do these turkeys get any bigger?\"

The stock boy replied: \"No ma'am, they're dead\"

Msn/email - wezx1@hotmail.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast