What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Neps on the way!

I have the following plants on the way: N. villosa, N. albomarginata, N. bicalcarata (which I'm currently receiving advice about in the Terrariums forum) and N. ampullaria.

To put is simply, I need tips on growing these bad boys. The end
smile.gif

Villosa- ultra highland conditions. very cool temps(~50) at night. grows very slowly
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]N. villosa is a stunning species, but in keeping with its ultrahighland origin, it requires truly cool conditions to thrive. A temperature range of approximatly 3 C to 18 C is suggested, with high humidity and good illumination. This species is very slow growing and is not a good choice for the novice, or those who are unlikely to invest the long-term effort which its successful cultivation requires. Note that when small, this species is fairly forgiving of overly warm temperatures; however, as it matures, it becomes much more demanding. Therefore, real planning and consideration is recommended prior to undertaking its cultivation. It is one of very few species which we consider truly difficult, but if appropriate conditions are provided, it can be grown quite well.
got that from Plantswithattitude.com
Albomarginata, bicalcarata, ampullaria- lowland conditions. bical and amp water tray method. bical high humidity and space.
Glider gets another one
smile.gif
and you can get more info on the others at the same place. keep us up on everything
Glider14

Hey there,
Glider answered most of your neps questions there...

I grow albomarginata as an intermediate, actually....It seems to prefer higher light levels than I currently have it in, which I hope to recify soon....But other than that it's happy. My humidity is generally in the 60's.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 07 2006,12:27)]...N. bicalcarata (which I'm currently receiving advice about in the Terrariums forum)...
smile_m_32.gif

I'm wondering how I'm going to keep it cool enough for my new N. villosa. It seems that since this plant is young, it'll forgive my highter temps for the time being, but I need to get something going for the future. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep a terrarium very cool?

Villlosa : ( I have one from 19 Septermber 2005)
This species seems to be easy when growing as little plant but will be more demanding when becoming an adult one.
She grows well into my terrarium and developes traps without problems.
My terrarium temperatures are : 26 day and 18 night.
Humidity : 60% day and 80% during night.
120 watt of neon ( growlux + daylight )
Distance from neon light : circa 50 cm.
Byeeeeeee

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

There use to be some good articles on the web on growing Villosa.  I'll see what i can find.  One used a small freezer, but I know of several using insulated boxes.  If I remember my articles correctly, they aren't very forgiving of any "high" temperatures, period.

rm

Edited: Colorado Carnivorous with Jerimiah, http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS....ewpost. Now it is all coming back.

I have a question i have a small fridge like THISand i was wondering to the people who know. if you can turn the dial so it gets to the right temperature. the only way i know this woud work is to lay it on its back so the door can be taken off and replaced with plexiglass. can you do this?

NO, it is a compressor thing. I know there are plumbers out there that answer better than me, but you would have to reorient the compressor, and I believe the compressors are hard solder in place by way of the tubing.

I will post a link for you on this if need be, but I think you understand.

rm

Back