Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N. alata in Sumatra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many widely produced neps like N. ventrata have deformities due to improper usage of hormones in TC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slurm i have one of those this is the link to see one. Messed up Ventrata if it is like that swords then its a TC mutation result of sloppy TC
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the stuff! UGLY! Have you kept this plant, did it straighten up? (not that I'm missing yet another ventrata...I have so many cuttings of it from my original clipping my uncle gave me six years ago -I could naturalize them to chaska each summer! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ Feb. 08 2006,6:58)]Jorge,

The mislabling goes all the way to the nursery that created the tc stock-which is reputed to be a nursery in the Netherlands called DeRoose, I believe. They also have the N. "tobaica" and created the popular N. 'Miranda' as well as others.
    I saw some ventrata the other day in a local nursery labled as N. alata.
    Now who are the garden centers going to believe? The creater or supplier of thier plants, or some "Joe Schmoe" from off the street ?

Cheers,

Joe
    Hello! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

The Griffin: Oh Wow... so this problems comes from the surce...? That is a huge problem then... How sad is that... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Swords: Thanks for the info... That is not the mutation i was talking about... The one i say is like making flowers or leaves in Tropcial Plants to have a curled appearance... And i guess that one is induced to make the plant be stranger and more pleasant than regular plants. That equals more beauty and more $ $ $.

But this mutation seen in the plants on the link is not pleasant. Wow that is a terrible problem.

See you,
    Jorge Joel...
    Emilia's Garden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hello again!

Now, going back to the auction that started this topic. Look at the new auction. It has the same info and pics, but with a new title:

Winged Pitcher Plant - Nepenthes tobaica - Carnivorous

What a mess!
    Jorge Joel...
    Emilia's Garden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right-it's the same pic. Maybe it's the tobaica hybrid and not ventrata. Can't tell from the pic too well(If I had to guess, I would go with ventrata, lol).

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This topic has been entertained before, it is not uncommon for large mass-production nurseries like Deroose to label all hybrids by the name of the pod parent. Accordingly, ventricosa x alata is sold as ventricosa, tobaica x khasiana is sold as tobaica etc. This is allegedly to protect their intellectual property. It just gives rise to confusion and is fundamentally misleading.
    Demystifying Nepenthes: http://www.nepenthesforeveryone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Hello! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

I can understand that these huge nurseries and breeders want to protect their intelectual property. But for us, gorwers and collectors it is very improtant to know what we have. You know, we are paying for something, that it will be nice that is exactly waht we paid.

So this practice is dishonest wiht us, buyers. But, well it seems that this is the way that it goes... Sad, but true.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast